1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinion of Truck Bed Caps

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AMac, Feb 3, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

Well I would definately put a low profile tonneau cove on if I took it off. I bought the truck used and whoever did the rhino liner did a horrible job in my opinion because it lacks texture. Meaning that it is shinier and smoother than preferred. I've had about 3 rhino liners in all previous trucks so I know this one isn't right.

The funny thing that just happened at the tire place (getting the nail out of the tire) is the guy wrote it up as a 2011 suburban. I asked him if he did that because of the cap...LOL He said he just hit the wrong button and knew it was a Chevy 1500, still funny though.
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Well, do you want a truck or a burban? a truck with a cap is a wannabe burbran. Or it is something that older people do.... :)
  3. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

They way i feel is....i need something to put all my crap in, i have alot of crap becuase i work on the railroad....so i need something to cover the bed to protect it. I have had the campers shells but i prefer the fiberglass tonneau covers better
  4. AMac

Nak, Caps can be for young wippa snappas like me too. The funny thing that just happened at the tire place (getting the nail out of the tire) is the guy wrote it up as a 2011 suburban. I asked him if he did that because of the cap...LOL He said he just hit the wrong button and knew it was a Chevy 1500, still funny though. I thought about your comment when this happened:lol:
  5. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member

[MENTION=53354]AMac[/MENTION] first of all your truck looks great with the cap, and since you already own it, if you do decide to take it off for a short time (i.e. loading your ATV) I am sure there are people that wouldn't mind helping ya : ) as far as tonneaus go I have had hard and soft and honestly I prefer the soft due to I can roll it up and get it out of the way if I have an oversize load and need the full bed...I have had an Extang soft tonneau on my silverado for about 4-5 years now and love it. It can be removed entirely, and quickly, say maybe to put your cap back on...and then put back on later.. just my thoughts take care :happy:
  6. AMac

MoBilly, thank you for the input. I've had tonneau covers Ina few trucks and agree that they are easy to take off and put back in; the cap I'm not so sure of. When the weather warms up I guess I can try it. I think it weighs a little over 150lbs.
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

AMac they do make a lift system to raise and lower your Top. That is if you have a garage. I think your truck would look better without the top and with a tonneau cover. It doesn't have anything to do with age for me. I just think some look good with them and some look good without them.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

2x what he said...
  9. dadngt

dadngt New Member

Well if you do lose the cap you could sell it for profit & your truck would lose 150 lbs of excessive weight just depends on if you need that much dry storage all the time. I like the soft covers also because they roll out of the way when needed. I think the old age thought on camper shells are those ugly white shells that even my Grandpa wouldn't use.
  10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

A, I like the cap look better for your truck. As was said earlier the truck looks naked with out