1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinion On New Headlight Bulbs

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Tracey121, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Tracey121

Tracey121 New Member

Got a 1997 GMC Suburban C1500 that I'm upgrading.

The headlight plastic is no longer clear, so now the intensity of the bulbs is much lower.
    The cost of new plastic is very expensive, but new high wattage bulbs is much less.

For just a few dollars, I can put offroad 100 watt bulbs for the bright lights in each.
    And, I can put higher wattage bulbs in the regular lights to compensate.

Does this work very well to overcome the yellowed plastic headlight encasement?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Brighter bulbs are nice as long as they are legal in your state. You may also want to invest in one of those headlight restoration kits. The kit includes what you need to polish the lenses clear again, and they do work pretty well. I think they usually go for around $20 and will restore a pair of headlight lenses.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

From expericence I have had with high wattage headlight bulbs, they do not like the factory 22 gauge wire and neither does the bulb socket. I Upgraded my headlight harness to 14 gauge wire, and then I put in high temperature 9005/9006 sockets and have been running that setup for 7 years with no problems.

Also being that you want to use off-road bulbs, they will melt your plastic lenses in a matter of minutes.
  4. Naptime

Naptime New Member

Not as good as replacing them.
    You can buy replacements on ebay for 20.00 each. I've seen complete lens sets (including parking, turning) for under 60.
    Just keep an eye peeled.
  5. stephenwsmith

stephenwsmith New Member

Hey if you see that link for 2002 Lights let me know :)

I'd truly appreciate it, and would like both brighter bulbs and clearer lenses..
    thanks again.
  6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

A friend and I used a cheap (under $25 IIRC) AutoZone headlight restoration kit on a friend's '98 Suburban. It took us about 2 hours (we were thorough, the lights were quite fogged and discolored) from removing the headlights, wet sanding, cleaning and polishing to re-installing and what a difference it made in the quality of the light output from the headlights. Try a headlight restoration kit, I think you'll be satisfied with the results.
  7. McMahan

McMahan New Member

go with DDM tuning or Krypton bulbs HID kit