1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

opinions needed. caliper paint color

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I can see that damn rusty thing every time I walk up. I am leaning toward black or silver. Before it rusted it was silver.
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I'm kind of biased toward silver. Think it would brighten up nicely.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

yea, to be honest when it was silver I never noticed it. now that it is rust it drives me nuts. (if you can't tell) So much for the "special coating" they put on to prevent rust. I think that they have been on for less than 6 months. This is the only one rusting.
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

I just dont see your truck as the kind to have red calipers.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Got ya Mike......I also could see the rust on mine every time I walked-up to my truck, and I went with Painting them Black along with the Hub Part of the Rotor's as well.

**Edit:....Mike you mentioned
    "special coating" are the Rotors you have from SSBC??....
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I'm a little late chiming in, but here's my 2 cents, hehe.

Red looks good on a black truck; but not good on a silver truck,
    Black would cover up the rust and not look too bad,
    Silver would cover up the rust, but might get dirty faster than the darker colours,
    Ya know, I think I like the idea of using blue; blue and silver is a nice combo.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I like being different, polish them then cover it with a clear coat.
    It'll look close to silver with raw metal.
  8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i was going to paint my calipers a while back like you, but found a way easier method....
    when i was doing all my work after spring break on axles, brakes, etc. i just went ahead and bought new calipers already painted...

go check out
    www.rockauto.com

and go to your vehicle, i just checked for you and powerstop sells the front pair for $84.00, and the rear for $82.00, and thats before you return the cores for money back, thats the route i went, and ill never change it,
    4 NEW powerstop powdercoated RED brake calipers for $100.00 and some change.... check it out
  9. poncho62

poncho62 Member

They make specific caliper paint? Bet thats pricey....I have used regular rustoleum on calipers, works fine
  10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

Red has been standard table fair for chevy street rods for decades, but I tend to agree with several others here that black or a color match would best suit your truck. given the wheels that you have. Thinkin a bold color would stand out like a hammered thumb. lol.