opinions needed. caliper paint color

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I can see that damn rusty thing every time I walk up. I am leaning toward black or silver. Before it rusted it was silver.

2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'm kind of biased toward silver. Think it would brighten up nicely.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea, to be honest when it was silver I never noticed it. now that it is rust it drives me nuts. (if you can't tell) So much for the "special coating" they put on to prevent rust. I think that they have been on for less than 6 months. This is the only one rusting.

4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I just dont see your truck as the kind to have red calipers.

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Got ya Mike......I also could see the rust on mine every time I walked-up to my truck, and I went with Painting them Black along with the Hub Part of the Rotor's as well.

**Edit:....Mike you mentioned
    "special coating" are the Rotors you have from SSBC??....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm a little late chiming in, but here's my 2 cents, hehe.

Red looks good on a black truck; but not good on a silver truck,
    Black would cover up the rust and not look too bad,
    Silver would cover up the rust, but might get dirty faster than the darker colours,
    Ya know, I think I like the idea of using blue; blue and silver is a nice combo.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I like being different, polish them then cover it with a clear coat.
    It'll look close to silver with raw metal.

8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i was going to paint my calipers a while back like you, but found a way easier method....
    when i was doing all my work after spring break on axles, brakes, etc. i just went ahead and bought new calipers already painted...

go check out
    www.rockauto.com

and go to your vehicle, i just checked for you and powerstop sells the front pair for $84.00, and the rear for $82.00, and thats before you return the cores for money back, thats the route i went, and ill never change it,
    4 NEW powerstop powdercoated RED brake calipers for $100.00 and some change.... check it out

9. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

They make specific caliper paint? Bet thats pricey....I have used regular rustoleum on calipers, works fine

10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Red has been standard table fair for chevy street rods for decades, but I tend to agree with several others here that black or a color match would best suit your truck. given the wheels that you have. Thinkin a bold color would stand out like a hammered thumb. lol.