GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Opinions of Jeep Wranglers

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Barnettamb, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Hey guys I drive a silverado but my dad might take it and i would get a manual jeep wrangler. Does anyone have any opinions on the mechanics of the wranglers....
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Consumer reports Puts them as Worse then Avg in reliabity..... Sorry
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

What model?
  4. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

it would be used probably around 2000 to 2007 or 8.
  5. oxendale

oxendale New Member

I have a couple friends that have them and they havent ever had any problems. One is newer like an 07 or so and the other one is a little older maybe late 90's or early 2000's. They seem to run pretty good and have surprised me with what they can do. I actually kind of want one!
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I don't care for Wranglers largely because they are very basic feeling when it comes to transportation. i.e. Noisy, rattling, etc. Sure they are functional ... but the word 'refined' never comes to mind, for me, when thinking of a Wrangler. (Yes, trucks CAN be refined. SLT/LTZ's are cozy!)
  7. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I like them, but I'd personally only go for a 2011+. The new ones can be done up nicely in terms of features (power windows, leather, navigations, etc. to get all of the convenience things) but the 2011+ saw a big improvement in terms of the engines. The ones before had mediocre power and poor fuel economy for the size/weight of the vehicles. The new ones are more reliable, more powerful and get better fuel economy. From my previous research, I seem to recall people getting 15-16mpg on the high side. My Avalanche is a lot heavier than a wrangler, and has a 5.3l V8 instead of the old 4.0l V6 in the jeeps and can get 15-16mpg no problem with a fairly heavy foot. For me, the 4.0 V6 isn't an impressive engine and I don't think I'd own a vehicle with one.
  8. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 New Member

i test drove one because i loved them but they are laggy as hell and have no power. there terrible on fuel and my old boss drove one and sold it because he had to put brakes on it every 3 months. they were ac delco brakes so they werent the cheap stuff.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

We own a 93 YJ Wrangler thats been with us since it was new, we replaced the 4cyl/5spd with a 4.3/700R4 at 135k, the original engine couldnt propel the vehicle fast enough to get out of it's own way, but I never cared since it was my wifes 2nd car and she normally only drove it in nice weather with the top and doors off.
    We had a 2009 JK but sold it because we never drove it and when we made the decision to get rid of one of the Jeeps my wife admitted she was attached to her 93.
    The 09 had the 4cyl with a 5spd manual, it wasnt a bad truck, ran decent, definately could outrun the 93 before the engine swap, it was ok but like was pointed out it is a utilitarian vehicle.
    The A/C works ok but can easily be overcome due to the soft top, heater is the same way, performance and fuel mileage arent the best due to the non-existant aerodynamics, and road noise is a big factor, a loud aftermarket stereo is a must if you like listening to music even with the top up, although the newer tops do keep out more of the road noise.

But if your looking for a vehicle to fix up and add parts to you wont find one more popular than a Jeep Wrangler, there's more aftermarket parts available for Jeep JK's than any other vehicle, and out of the box with no mods they're one of the best off-road vehicles around.
    We enjoyed ours, never had any real issues with it, since we had the 94 we knew the quirks Jeeps have so things like the minimally functioning HVC werent a surprise to us.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

This is true, and I think off-road-worthiness is key to the Wrangler's DNA. However, it's also key to an ATV's DNA ... and those are smaller, cheaper, more fuel efficient, and likely even better off road. However, they're not exactly street-worthy. Then again, in my book, a Wrangler barely is -- but that's because I like creature comforts in road vehicles ... and Wranglers just don't have many of them.
  11. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Thanks for the replies they have been helpful. i do realize that it wouldnt be the most comfortable ride but im fine with that ...
  12. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

A Jeep is a Jeep. I would own another one! I loved the one I had. It was a 98 with the 4.0l I6. A motor that will last forever. As has been said the MPG's suck. But you are driving a vehicle shaped like a brick. So that shouldn't come as a surprise. One major complaint about the Wrangler is the noise. To me that is like a no brainer. You are driving a vehicle with a top that has no insulation. Is it unbearable? I didn't think so. Once the weather got over about 50 for the day time high the back windows came off and the tonneau went on to protect the back part of the Jeep. Once it got over 70 for a hi the doors came off. Rain or shine that is how I drove. A Cadillac the Wrangler is not. So keep that in the back of your mind when you go to make your choice.
  13. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

If I were going to build a rock crawler I'd start with a Wrangler. :)
  14. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

ive owned 2 and they were both dogs...my v8 truck gets better gas mileage than the v6...and my wifes cube picked up quicker than it too....its a giant tent on wheels....and im not a big guy but I kept hitting my arm/hand on the door because its so close to the giant steering wheel. I would advise again it but I am strong opinioned about them....
  15. 1BadSierra2011

1BadSierra2011 New Member

Iv known a few people who have owned jeeps. My buddy owned a 95, and it was the most durable thing i have ever seen. Got put through hell. My uncle owned a 2008 and it was a piece of junk. Get an older style
  16. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member

That's kind of a bad trade off to me. I'd have to really look at what I'd be using the vehicle for. If you are dead set on an off road type vehicle like the Wrangler, I'd consider all options such as the FJ Cruisers as well. They're more expensive but they come from factory with every mod/upgrade you could do to a Jeep to make it better off-road. All you really need to do to those is lift and tires and you're good. The FJ in my opinion is more road worthy, comfortable, and cool looking. The new Wranglers aren't much different than what was being put on the market 20 years ago if any different at all. Like what has already been stated, they're dogs and not very road worthy vehicles.
  17. stchman

stchman New Member

I have never been a fan of Chrysler products. I know this is just an opinion, but they seem to fall apart quicker than other models.