1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinions of Jeep Wranglers

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Barnettamb, Feb 23, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Hey guys I drive a silverado but my dad might take it and i would get a manual jeep wrangler. Does anyone have any opinions on the mechanics of the wranglers....
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Consumer reports Puts them as Worse then Avg in reliabity..... Sorry
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What model?
  4. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

it would be used probably around 2000 to 2007 or 8.
  5. oxendale

oxendale New Member

I have a couple friends that have them and they havent ever had any problems. One is newer like an 07 or so and the other one is a little older maybe late 90's or early 2000's. They seem to run pretty good and have surprised me with what they can do. I actually kind of want one!
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't care for Wranglers largely because they are very basic feeling when it comes to transportation. i.e. Noisy, rattling, etc. Sure they are functional ... but the word 'refined' never comes to mind, for me, when thinking of a Wrangler. (Yes, trucks CAN be refined. SLT/LTZ's are cozy!)
  7. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like them, but I'd personally only go for a 2011+. The new ones can be done up nicely in terms of features (power windows, leather, navigations, etc. to get all of the convenience things) but the 2011+ saw a big improvement in terms of the engines. The ones before had mediocre power and poor fuel economy for the size/weight of the vehicles. The new ones are more reliable, more powerful and get better fuel economy. From my previous research, I seem to recall people getting 15-16mpg on the high side. My Avalanche is a lot heavier than a wrangler, and has a 5.3l V8 instead of the old 4.0l V6 in the jeeps and can get 15-16mpg no problem with a fairly heavy foot. For me, the 4.0 V6 isn't an impressive engine and I don't think I'd own a vehicle with one.
  8. lindsaynuts8

lindsaynuts8 New Member

i test drove one because i loved them but they are laggy as hell and have no power. there terrible on fuel and my old boss drove one and sold it because he had to put brakes on it every 3 months. they were ac delco brakes so they werent the cheap stuff.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We own a 93 YJ Wrangler thats been with us since it was new, we replaced the 4cyl/5spd with a 4.3/700R4 at 135k, the original engine couldnt propel the vehicle fast enough to get out of it's own way, but I never cared since it was my wifes 2nd car and she normally only drove it in nice weather with the top and doors off.
    We had a 2009 JK but sold it because we never drove it and when we made the decision to get rid of one of the Jeeps my wife admitted she was attached to her 93.
    The 09 had the 4cyl with a 5spd manual, it wasnt a bad truck, ran decent, definately could outrun the 93 before the engine swap, it was ok but like was pointed out it is a utilitarian vehicle.
    The A/C works ok but can easily be overcome due to the soft top, heater is the same way, performance and fuel mileage arent the best due to the non-existant aerodynamics, and road noise is a big factor, a loud aftermarket stereo is a must if you like listening to music even with the top up, although the newer tops do keep out more of the road noise.

But if your looking for a vehicle to fix up and add parts to you wont find one more popular than a Jeep Wrangler, there's more aftermarket parts available for Jeep JK's than any other vehicle, and out of the box with no mods they're one of the best off-road vehicles around.
    We enjoyed ours, never had any real issues with it, since we had the 94 we knew the quirks Jeeps have so things like the minimally functioning HVC werent a surprise to us.
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is true, and I think off-road-worthiness is key to the Wrangler's DNA. However, it's also key to an ATV's DNA ... and those are smaller, cheaper, more fuel efficient, and likely even better off road. However, they're not exactly street-worthy. Then again, in my book, a Wrangler barely is -- but that's because I like creature comforts in road vehicles ... and Wranglers just don't have many of them.