1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Opinions on tire pressure.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Sierraowner5.3, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I ran my stock dueler tires at 37 or so, when I got the BFG A/Ts [LT265/65R18 load range E] mounted the dealer set them at 35 per door sticker. They seemed awful low and soft to me, so I ran all the tires up to 40 psi. the fronts still seem low with a way to large contact patch. At times I hear a odd tire sound going around corners, and I had noticed the outside shoulder of the tire wearing.

just curious as to what other people with these tires or similar where running for tire pressure. Im gonna run them to 45 and see what they look like.

Alex

posted this to wrong forum can someone move it to the silverado/sierra forum please?
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My 1500 Silverado says 35 on the door but that's for stock tires. I have been running larger, all-terrain tires since I first replaced the OEs. I keep mine at 45 psi but they are regular load range, not E. If you are running E, I would suggest at least 45 if not 50 psi.
  3. 09 Z71 4x4

09 Z71 4x4 Member

I run 47-50 psi on my rocky mountain A/T E rated tires. This seems to work well for me. I have over 20,000 miles and good even wear on the tires.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The door pressure is set with ride comfort in mind
    Higher pressure usually means better mpg longer tire life less tire heating better more secure cornering
    Yeah running closer to sidewall max is usually a good thing
    especially if you drive a high speed on the highway-tire flex is bad-higher pressure means less flex-heating
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

thanks for the info all. guess i need more air.

well, i set the fronts at 50, and the rears at 46. It looks alot better.

Alex
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

My 2013 has 30 front and rear with 275/55 R20. I run them at 35, it gives a little better MPGs.