1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Optima batteries

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Sep 10, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

now made in mexico!?!?!?!?!
    what in the hell???
  2. Sadly it doesn't really surprise me :no:
  3. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member ROTM Winner

I'm not to shocked by this statement unfortunately. Seems like alot of what use to be made in the USA in now made in Mexico or some other foreign country.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This isn't news. Construction of the plant in Mexico commenced in 2000 and Optima batteries have been made in Mexico for the last ten years (or slightly longer). The U.S. plant was closed for good in 2009.

Prior to going the dual battery route my reserarch showed that reliability supposedly went down when manufacturing transitioned south of the border ... which is why I didn't and won't buy an Optima.
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

well i just got one the other day and installed it...
    hopefully i will have some good results, i didnt do too too much research because when i researched them about a year ago people were still saying great things about them, so i hope to have luck with this one
  6. SurrealOne

I wish you luck with it, as well. I went with Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries as my research showed them to be re-branded Odyssey batteries ... with a better warranty than Odyssey batteries tend to have ... for less money than they tend to cost.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  7. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Those AGMs are very reliable surreal!
  8. SurrealOne

I hope so, they are stupidly priced. The nice part is that if one croaks I can just take it to a brick & mortar Sears shop pretty much anywhere and get it replaced.
  9. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member

Looking into these, not sure whether i should get the red top or yellow, i currently have 12" subs, a 1000 watt amp and a 180 watt head unit, the stock battery seems to function fine aslong as i dont leave the stereo playing with out the engine running, if i do then my battery will be flat after only an hour or two, im guessing i should probable get the yellow top since duration is one of my interests but perhaps the red is better than stock already and will suffice. I plan to add a winch, atleast 4 if not 8 lights, a air horn that will require a compressor and a cb so im thinkin i should get the yellow. Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Before you waste your money on Optima Batt's Check out Kinetik http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/default.asp It's what more pro's are useing.. Odyssey also makes a good one..

As for what you have now Your radio does not give 180 watts it's about 18-22 X 4 at tops or about 80 watts Total What amp are you running?