1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

????Optional Oil Filter????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2004Silverado, Mar 14, 2009.

1. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

So I am ready to do my first oil change on the Silverado, went to Wal-Mart and got oil and filter. Is this really the oil filter I thought, it is small, very small. I got the AC Delco PF46 which is what the little idiot computer at Wal-Mart said it uses.
    I know from previous experience on other vehicles, you can use a different oil filter. For example my Jeep calls for one oil filter but if I use another one that has the same connection, I can add another half quart of oil and have more filter membrane to filter the oil.
    Since I use all synthetic products and will be going much further between oil changes than conventional oil, I want a larger oil filter. The truck can accommodate a filter about 3 inches longer than the one currently on it, does anyone know of another oil filter that will fit, but give me more capacity and more filter membrane so as to facilitate the longer oil change intervals?

Thanks
    Dale
  2. Thundare

Thundare New Member

3. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

Thanks, but as best I can tell, that is just another brand but same specs on size and such.

The one I got is an AC Delco Part # PF46 & it is on the small side. I want a larger one that has more volume and more filtering membrane.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I use this one in my 2005 2500HD, and in my 2005 1500 Z-71. It holds almost a half quart more, and you can go for twice as long on it too. Check out there site: www.fram.com I buy these at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone too.
    [​IMG]
  5. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

Thanks TRPLXL2
    That is what I am looking for I think, but I can't tell what the part numbers is, do you have it.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I don't have it right off hand because I take mine to Wal-Mart and have it changed, but they look it up in the huge book they have behind the counter. On that website www.fram.com they have a vehicle look up to find the part number, hope that helps and by the way they also have another filter that is bigger than the one I showed it lasts for 11,000 miles. I think they charged me like $14.99 for that oil filter, and the giant one that is a step up is like $24.99. Hope that helps.
  7. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

Should of came up on the machine you used at walmart. Yo also run over to your nearest parts store and they should have all the answers for oil filters you are looking for. (it's in their comp look up files)
  8. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

I think everybody is missing the point, I do not want the one the books say goes on the truck, I want a LARGER one. To do this I need to match up the physical connection to the engine, then get the largest diameter and height that will physically fit on the truck.

This is not going to be in the standard lookups.

For example, if you look up the oil filter for a 1994 jeep wrangler with the 4.0, Fram will point you to a PH16, XG16, TG16, or HM16.

What you will not find in any of the books, the PH8A, XG8A, TG8A, and HM8A will also work for this vehicle and will increase your capacity by 1/2 quart and almost double the filter element area yielding you more filtering and longer life.

If anyone knows of a way to look up a filter in this manner, please let me know.

Thanks
  9. 2004Silverado

2004Silverado New Member

I found the info in case anyone is interested. The AC Delco part number that GM specifies is the PF46 which is the replacement for the dis-continued PF59. They still make the PF61, which will fit right onto the 4.8, 5.4, and 6.0 engines and yield a higher capacity and better filter life.

Should be able to cross those part numbers to whatever brand you like.
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Good Information! One thing to keep in mind when replacing oil filters is some have a drain-back valve and some don't. It makes a big difference if you have a filter that is mounted horizontally or upside down. If your filter is one of these it needs a drain-back valve. If you install the wrong filter you can damage your engine real fast so be careful.

Jim