Ordered Some Goodies For The Burb

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by battallion14, Aug 15, 2008.

1. battallion14

battallion14 New Member

Ordered some stuff last week to get my Suburban ready to start towing and this week parts started arriving. :) I am gonna put in a tranny temperature gauge along with a shift improver kit. Fairly cheap and easy to do, or so it seems. Got a free Summit hat in the deal too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Add an auxilary trans cooler too, the factory cooler is ok but you'll see a better reduction in fluid temperatures with something independant of the factory radiator and it'll help engine cooling by not having to share.
    You can never cool an automatic trans enough when towing.

3. battallion14

battallion14 New Member

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

4. battallion14

battallion14 New Member

Got everything installed this weekend which leads me to a question. For those with the 4L80E, what is a typical summertime transmission temp assuming 65 - 70mph already warmed up? My gauge read a little less than 195* on the highway @ speed. For stop and go city driving I saw it climb up to about 210* and was wondering if that was normal. Thanks!

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hmm, that seems a little on the hot side if you ask me. I've always heard that it should be about 50 degrees higher than the outside temp, and maybe 60 or 70 degrees higher if towing. Unless you're towing in Death Valley, that's a bit on the high side. Anyone else hear that rule of thumb?

6. cooldad31

cooldad31 New Member

Yes I have also heard of that rule of thumb. I also think that 210 is alittle high. What degree thermostat is in it ?

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think that sounds about right. Shoot, the engine temps don't run that low. Typically both my trucks run right in the 200-210F range for just the engine coolant. The transmission coolant gets MUCH hotter from the friction and such. I still need to put a trans temp gauge on my transmission...and a pressure gauge while I'm at it.

8. battallion14

battallion14 New Member

I don't know to be honest. I bought it about a month ago and didn't get any maintenance records from the previous owner. The engine itself is running about 170* and doesn't seem to move much. I actually was worried that might be a bit low since my car and Jeep both run a lot hotter than that but from what I can tell that is normal with the 454.

This week it was about 20* cooler outside thanks to the remnants of Fay and the transmission was running about 180* rather than 195* I was seeing when it was 90*+ outside. Stop and go city driving still yielded about 210* on the tranny temp guage.

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

210 is about where it'll run in stop and go traffic, highway driving should drop it to around 195. Theres a lot of friction and slipping going on in an auto trans, this builds up a lot of heat. Towing in stop and go traffic can easily push temps up between 250 and 275.
    This is one reason its always better to separate the engine and trans coolers, trans temps will push the engine temps a little higher.

10. battallion14

battallion14 New Member

Thanks for the info! We spent the weekend running around the Smokey Mountain National Park and saw it climb up to 230 on some of the steep switchbacks which really started to freak me out a bit. I am glad to know that isn't too hot.