1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ordering parts - Cam, CAI, long tubes

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 1BadV6, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 1BadV6

1BadV6 New Member

Been debating a cam upgrade and finally decided its time to get it done. Truck just doesn't perform the way I think i should and want a bit more out of it. what I'm working with

2003 Sierra SLT
    Extended Cab Short Box
    5.3 4L60E
    20" wheels 285/50
    Bone Stock except exhaust, hooker Aero Chamber single in dual 2 1/2 out
    Trans has 4000 miles on fresh rebuild with alto clutches, hardened front drum, updated sprag, extra 3-4 clutches, Sonax performance pack, Sonnax 2nd and 4th gear super hold servos.
    210,000 miles on motor - no issues
    This is my DD and used quit often for towing

Parts list I've put together...

Comp Cams XR265HR
    265/271, Lift .522/.529 114LSA

Comps hardened pushrods #7955-16
    Comp Beehive LS6 valve springs #12499224

K&N CAI

And I'm gonna give the E-bay SS longtubes a shot with NO CATS.

Most likely gonna have the truck dyno tuned locally, if not I'll order a tune from Black bear

Just curious if anyone sees anything I'm missing or has a different opinion on parts. Just looking to make the truck enjoyable to drive again but retain my towing abilities
  2. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

check out texas-speed.com look at the packages they put together and compare to what you have. i will say that you should upgrade your oil pump and you need to get new roller rockers for the new cam. some people will say its not needed and would be right but is strongly recommended.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Are the 20's factory?
    What gear ratio is it running.
    Build all the horsepower you want, if the gearing isnt right itll never perform the way you want it to.
  4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Or if the tire diameter is different from factory, the gauges might just read wrong, and make you think it's not performing how it should be.
  5. 1BadV6

1BadV6 New Member

3:73
    Not factory, however a 285/50/20 is a 31.2" tall tire compared to the factory 265/75/16 being a 31.6" tire. Speedometer is correct, and performance is the same with 20"s and factory wheel and tires
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you don't want to run roller rockers, at least consider the trunion upgrade for the stock rockers. Everything else looks good, the 3.73 will be a great gear with the setup your looking at.
  7. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Unless you've changed the system to handle the adjustment, your speedo is reading 1.4% too fast. So if you measure 0-60 time by the speedo, you're actually measuring 0-59 time.

More importantly, if you don't think it's performing how it should, what you never stated in your original post, is how you think it should be performing, nor how it actually compares to how it is performing now. All those mods are certainly mods, but they may not actually do what you think they'll do, either. Do you know what you want the truck to do in terms of performance exactly?