1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Orifice tube issue or something else?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crazeetxn, May 6, 2011.

1. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn New Member

So after a week or so of finally getting some freon in, I think I'm developing another problem...now the air is cold BUT!!!

The hi-side line is hotter than h*** and I'm noticing the accumulator doesn't "sweat". Not even a little. Now I do get condesnation right behind the high side port, but that's the only place. I've heard that it could be the orifice tube, but I'm not sure if that's where it actaully is or if that's even my problem.

Thoughts?

As always, ya'll's help is MUCH apprecitated.
  2. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

what all have you done so far?
    any time you replace a compressor, the orifice tube and dryer should be replaced.....also find a shop that can flush your system out b4 recharging the system.
    and make sure that you deep vac for at least 30 min and then just let it set for a while to check for leaks, then charger with the recommended amount R143A.

the A/C system should blow air approximately 30* lower than the outside air (unless its already really cold, could lead to freezing lines)
  3. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn New Member

No compressor replacement...yet. Just changed a few seals. Pulled a vac for about 30 mins or so, let it set, didn't notice the needle move so I figured I didn't have any leaks. Charged it up and got it down to about 50F or so. Drove it around then checked it out...just the condensation behind the hi-side port.

It's only $10 and I don't mind recharging, but is the tube even down there or is it somewhere else?
  4. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

not sure what exactly your workin on but you prolly wont find it in a chilton or haynes book....sometimes a good parts guy can look it up other wise try calling a dealer or join AllData.
  5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Just look for a crimp in the line near the condenser. That's where your orifice tube is.