Other fuel sources - E85 and Biodiesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ChevyFan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been reading a lot about E85 gasoline/ethanol mixture and also biodiesel. Just wondering if anyone is using it in their vehicle and what type of difference you can see.

I know that in the midwest there are a bunch of ethanol plants popping up lately. I've heard that more and more gas stations around these communities are carying E85 too.

I think that everyone knows that the new turbodiesels can perform very well with an engine life up to 300k.

2. kamikos

kamikos Rockstar

I've heard that to run E85 (like the state vehicles in Iowa supposedly are) certain pumps and fittings needs to be replaced/upgraded. Not sure if this is for every vehicle or if its true or not though. There are quite a few people running biodiesel here too. There's actually a few plants and even places that sell the equipment to make it yourself out of used veggie oil within a couple miles of my house.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, I saw that on the news the other week. That's one of the things I was interested in learning more about.

For example, when it comes to the monster RVs, like what my dad has. He went from a gas ford big-block to a different RV with a 300hp turbo diesel and gets more HP with better fuel economy. That's pretty impressive.

4. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

The good thing about biodiesel is that it offers the ability to have an easy-to-get fuel source that we can grow in this country. "get out from under!"