1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

other rearend gears for 2500HD?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jbhofc, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jbhofc

jbhofc Member

Since I can't give my truck away, I may have to keep her.
    Are there any other rearend gears made for the 2500??
    I've got 4:10 do not that. I'd like to get down to 3:42ish or lower.
    Thanks, Mark
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, there are other rear end gears. I like Randy's site layout (ringpinion.com) as far as finding what's available for you axle. You can also look at most any other vendor (like Napa, partsamerica.com, Carquest, GM dealer, or a local 4x4 shop or whatever).

Know that if you have a 4x4, you also have to change the front axle gear ratio, or convert to 2wd.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you change gears, your speedometer will be wrong. For the GM 10-bolt rearend that is found on most 1/2ton trucks, they make gears as low as 3.08 and as high as...I think 5.56

For the 14-bolt rearend that's probably in your truck, I think the lowest there is is 3.42s, but I think that's even a bit low for that rearend.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

why do you want to lower your gears?? there are many other gears for your axle, my guess is a 14 or 12 bolt. i would keep them stock the 4.10 is a good all around gear ratio to stay with unless you get bigger tires
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not sure of the year model truck you have, but it shouldnt matter much the axles didnt change a lot over the years. I have 3.42's in my 1997 2500 4X4 Suburban w/7.4, the gears made a big difference in the mpg, when I got it I was only getting around 12 with 4.10's now it gets avg 16 and I've gotten as good as 21 on a road trip.
    Randy's Ring and Pinion is probably one of the best gear vendors around. There are many others out on the market that can be found with a google search, but most prices will be comparable. Just remember to avoid any gears manufactured in China, they've been having reliability problems for a few years.
  6. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i would have to ask why the gear swap as well? for the same cost you can get a gear vendor splitter or doubler to keep the same gear and get another gear when you want it....mike