Ouch! Side of truck scraped after wife swerved to avoid a child.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Sierraowner5.3, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

A few pics of the side of my truck after my wife swerved to avoid a child running around alone in the parking lot at a Wendys.

Rather have the truck messed up then have her run someone over, but it would be nice if parents would corral their kids.

moral of the story, watch out for kids, and watch out for buildings!

Alex

Attached Files:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

Wow! It could have been a whole lot worse. I know exactly what you mean about corralling the kids. I often see kids running around parking lots unattended. I have 2 young children, our "parking lot rules" are that they are holding my hand or my wife's at all times. If for some reason their hand comes out of one of our hands They freeze and do not move.
  3. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

That is just terrible, what happend, did she hit one of those pillars out in front of the store???:eek:uch:
  4. Sierraowner5.3

yep, she hit one of those poles they put out to keep you from actually hitting the building or anything else they want you to stay away from.

Alex
  5. Sorry to hear about your truck. I'm happy everyone is okay. Irresponsible parents is something WAY too common these days.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Ouch!!! Bummer.. Take some Artex to the side where she hit and that should take most of the other paint off and make it look better.. For now till you get it fixed.. As for that Kid.....[​IMG] Oh Mommy come here....[​IMG]
  7. Sierraowner5.3

got a quote this afternoon. $2600!!!!

my deductible is $500, so not so bad. i now have to go to a allstate approved place tomorrow to get it looked at again. the inspecotr figured a whole lot of paint and body work, plus a whole new bedside.

see what happens tomorrow.

Alex
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Gosh, I thought it would buff out :rofl::rofl::rofl:
  9. Sierraowner5.3

i teased my wife about that i would just go buy a buffer and get a little wax, she didnt find it too amusing.

Alex
  10. AJ_Tahoe01

AJ_Tahoe01 New Member

That is pretty crazy, but there is no price for a child's well being. However it is costly.
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

How is it that the parents of the kid aren't liable for this?
  12. Sierraowner5.3

it should be, had my wife talked to the mom. my wife just grabbed her food and went home, she had already had a long day with my daughter at the hospital getting some tests, they were both very tired and cranky.

had i been there, it would have been different, but its water under the bridge.

Alex
  13. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

OUCH!!!!
    Glad all the wife and kid are ok though.
  14. Sierraowner5.3

dropped the truck off yesterday at the body shop, they figured they would get to it on monday, maybe have it done by next friday, probably monday tho, all depends on how soon they get the parts they need.

ended up renting a little SLE canyon crew cab. not a bad little truck, but its no sierra.

Alex
  15. Vallez93

Vallez93 New Member

Im in the same situation right now, I was driving home from pt two days ago and Im in the fast lane on the interstate and traffic comes to a sudden stop, I had to stop pretty quickly, as I stop I look in my rearview mirror and see a ton of smoke and I get nailed in the rear end which causes me to hit a Chevy 2500 diesel in front of me. Turns out some girl ran into the back of a dodge at about 65mph and caused the pileup, there were five cars involved. But heres the damage that got caused to my truck, mainly from hitting the heavy duty hitch on the back of the 2500, the 2500 wasnt even phased.
    photo.jpg photo (1).jpg
  16. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

As bad as it is at least it's only paint and sheet metal. Unfortunately to many parents allow their kids to run in streets and parking lots then automatically blame the driver when something happens.

I was driving through my neighborhood in my work truck (Peterbuilt, long frame tandem axle, w/30' box) not long ago when a lady and her 3 little kids popped open the street side doors and jumped out of their Suburban into the street right in front of me, the lady gave me a nasty look and yelled something I didnt catch, she basically pissed me off, about half a block down a police officer was watching a school crossing so I stopped and complained to him about the driver, he asked me if I was willing to follow up and go to court if it ever got that far so I said yea, he went to the ladies house and issued her 1 ticket for opening her vehicle door into traffic and 3 tickets for endangerment to a child. Normally I wouldnt waste the time it took to follow through but these little brats are always in the street and if you honk at them they flip you the bird even when the parents are outside with them, which isnt often, hopefully this will teach the parents to keep their kids out of the street. I'd hate to see them have to learn this lesson because one of the little brats got run over.
  17. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member

ouch that sucks but its good she avoided the kid that ran out into the parking lot, the GF's 3 yr old is learning about parking lots, hes either holding our hands or im carrying him if he decides to want to try and run off, one day he really didnt want to hang around the truck so i picked him up and put him in the bed :money:
  18. Sierraowner5.3

got her back today. cant tell it happened, which is how it should be. dont think they got a alignment done quite right tho, truck dosnt pull, but the wheel is a touch left to get it to go straight.

Alex
  19. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

It seems to me as our cities and towns gets more crowded ... these are happening more and more. Makes me want to move to the country.
  20. Sierraowner5.3

thats the plan when i get out of the army.

Alex