1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Out with the old and in with the new

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 82Suburban, Jul 2, 2007.

1. 82Suburban

82Suburban New Member

Well, I've only posted on here 1 time.. So I figured I'd check back in with everyone...I still have the old suburban, which I have found out since, that its actually an 81 not an 82. Anyways, its been giving me hell since day one and I've decided to part with it. So I talked to a friend of mine who has a 1994 suburban 2500 454 that I'm going to pick up to replace my old tired one. Is there anything that I should know or be looking for with this newer series suburban? Any common problems with the big block?
    Anyone want a beater 81 suburban??? LOL
    Thanks,
    Matt
    1 person likes this.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

can you give more specs, and a location of the sub? I might be interested... ;)
  3. 82Suburban

82Suburban New Member

The 81 is located in Sacramento, CA
    Not a whole lot to say about it, its old and tired....
    Lifted with bigger tires, thats about it...
  4. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

I would say go with a 96 or newer if you can afford it. This generation of suburban is getting pretty affordable now used.

The 96 and newer have the vortec motors with more power.
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

The 96 and newer also have OBDII which can help diagnose troubles and are easier to reflash if you are into mods like intakes, headers, tires etc.
  6. 82Suburban

82Suburban New Member

Honestly I wouldn't be getting another suburban if it wasn't for my friend so I will stick to the 94. Its kinda a win win situation. I can't afford a new truck, so he gives me a good deal and I get a newer SUV, and he gets it out of his driveway. This thing will stay in the condition if is in as far as mods. I have two brand new cars that are daily drivers, this is just a weekend, towing, camping, special occasion type vehicle.
  7. unplugged

It's all good. The burb life.

Is that 94 burb 4wd or a mall cruiser? JK! 4wd would have it's own challenges, but lots of good info here either way. My 93 burb has been good to me. I do wish I had opted for the 2500 454.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Bet you dont say that when your standing at the gas pump!!
  9. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

I believe the 96 vortec 350 has more power than the 94 454 as well.
  10. unplugged

I love to take my burb to Costco!

No complaints here. Mine is paid for. The guy I worry about is the 07 burb owner with $450.00 payment on top of the fuel cost. That's like dumping 150 gallons a month in the gutter. Now that is guzzling gas!:eek: