1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

outside door handle replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevyaz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. chevyaz

chevyaz New Member

I have a 1994 gmc silverado and my drivers side door handle is on it way out can anyone give me some tips on how to do this project? Is this a very hard job to do? Thanks
  2. ahager57

ahager57 New Member

I have done it on a 1997 Suburban; the part is inexpensive and available at LCM Truck among other sources. The job was a challenge but not terrible. However, I was unable to get the linkage for the key reattached so my key doesn't work. I tried several options including attaching the link before installing the new handle - didn't work. I just use the remote now which I did most of the time anyway. Good luck!
  3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

theyre super easy to change out. just be very careful/patient with both the door clips, and the lock & linkage clips for the handle. the whole door panel needs to come off, but its easy to do. the handle comes out with a 10mil socket and wrench. there is a difference in the lock cylinders as the years progressed. so make sure you get one for a 94. don't get one from ebay.....
  4. chevyaz

chevyaz New Member

I changed out my door handle yesterday and it was a bit of a challange and the clips are a real pain in the neck but i got it done in about 2 hours. The clip came off my lock linkage but I can still lock and unlock with the key. Im going to replace the inside door handle so it can wait. I got a handle off a 94 suburban at a boneyard for 10.00 bucks and changed out my lock and it works just fine. But all in all not that bad now that ive done it once next time it will be easier. Thanks for your advice folks.