GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Outside mirror adjustment range....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by stvbldso, Oct 1, 2013.

1. stvbldso

stvbldso New Member

Hello. I am new here, and I just bought a 2013 Suburban LT with power, heated mirrors....the ones that fold in at the touch of a button, and have the signal arrows in the glass. The passenger mirror has a wide range of adjustment, but the driver's side will not adjust upward enough to suit me. I find that at the top of it's travel, I am looking downward at the pavement, only a car length or two back. I cannot see "down the road" behind me in the lane to my left. I complained to the dealership, and they tell me that all of the Suburbans have the same range of motion, and there's nothing wrong with my mirror. Can anyone suggest a solution, or is the dealership telling me correctly?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Welcome to GMTC! I would go get in a new Suburban on the lot and try it. Then you will have the answer to if others move more. Does your seat have a height adjustment? Maybe if you try moving your seat down it will change the angle that your eyes look at the mirror at, hence increasing your backward visibility.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

^^^ great advice there, I would start with what [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] said about hopping in a new one on the lot. Welcome to the forum and let us know what you find out on there
  4. unsub

unsub New Member

I'd tell you my range on my 2001 Burb if the electronic adjustment switch worked at all but they do not. I adjust them manually. I do not have the fancy and IMO silly turn signals on my mirrors but they do heat up well and fold in manually but my drivers side mirror does not budge even when full force of my strength is applied. If I had a 2013 I'd be livid of any mirror issues I had. But if I remember right most or all power mirrors I've had in numerous autos had drivers side controls more limited in range than the passenger side.
    Adjust the seat as pikey said or manually move the sucker.
  5. stvbldso

stvbldso New Member

I think I have figured it out. The seat was already all the way down, and all the way back (I'm six feet, and two inches tall).

Adjusting the mirror all the way up didn't get the results I wanted, and attempting to move the glass face within the housing manually by pushing at the top of the glass proved to be futile, but....

I pushed the glass "in" toward the window, and found that I had a greater range of upward "manual" movement (by hand), and I still have enough outward rotation to get the view that I need.
    I guess these mirror glasses sit on a tight ball pivot of some sort, that is mounted to the electric motor.

So far, it was the only thing that I was unhappy with, and now it is solved. Thanks for listening, and suggesting!