1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Over heating!help!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Edgar_505, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Edgar_505

Edgar_505 New Member

What up guys....So I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L.and I having over heating problems....but just when the truck isn't in motion and when the a/c is on....but when the a/c isn't on it's fine no over heating....also ive notice when the truck isn't in motion the a/c isn't cold its hot...mmmm well warm I would say then when the truck is in motion then the a/c is cold why is that?what's wrong with it?how can I fix it?Help please.
  2. johnsonfarms

johnsonfarms New Member

I am no expert, but just speaking to the physics of the issue it is simply an air flow problem. When not in motion there is not enough air moving past the AC cooler to properly cool the refrigerant. This also causes additional heat to remain near the vehicles radiator, not to mention the added load the AC contributes to the engine. How to fix it? Just don't stop, drive fast :)
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Along the lines of johnsonfarms comment, two things I'd first check: 1) anything obstructing airflow through the radiator (leaves, dirt, bugs, etc.) and 2) fan clutch could be worn.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what MrShorty said.
  5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

When you're cleaning your AC condenser & radiator of the bugs & dirt, be sure & wash them out from the rear to the front. They went in the front, so that's the way they have to come out. If you just spray them from the front, you will just wedge them farther in & you'll never get them out. Mix some soapy water in a spray bottle & spay the condenser & rad & let it sit for 30 minutes. Then take the garden hose & wash them out from the rear foreward.