1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overhead console swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by DOTSS, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DOTSS

DOTSS New Member

Never tried this, but will the long overhead console from a mid 90's Tahoe or Suburban fit in a standard cab half ton pickup? Are the two slots already cut into the roof interior steel panel? Has anyone done this swap?
    Thanks
    Steve
    New Haven, CT
  2. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The slots ARE NOT cut in the roof line for the console, you will need to create your own tabs to hold part of it in, you will get it to fit but it will be tight. Measure the lenght of the console from front to back, you may find that you'll need to mount it forward more. You can epoxy hardwood blocks to the roof line to mount the back screws, you don't need large ones, or large screws either......

Jeff
  3. Ttomes

Ttomes Member

Put one in my 98 standard cab a while back. I cut the tabs off and used interior screws to hold it up. The roof in mine was double walled. Screws are hidden by the doors.
  4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep, with the double panel in the roof, this works quite well, make sure to use a short bit....

Jeff