Overheating issue in 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Willow, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Willow

Willow New Member

RayVoy, I looked at that today actually as someone suggested that. It spins freely. I tried it when it was cold. I never hear my fan run, but it does run when it starts up as it should.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member

spin the clutch fan when cold it should not spin more than 3 rotations. check when engine hot spin again. if it spins the same amount then I would replace the fan clutch.

the other item would be the plastic shrouds around the fan. if these are removed /broken you can get this type problem. also don't forget it could be a head gasket.
  3. Willow

Willow New Member

Please clarify...it should spin no more than 3 rotations with one good push or should spin no more than 3 rotations with repeated attempts? Oh Lord...don't say head gasket....and how would you test for that?
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member

you give it a good throw and it should not spin more than 3 rotations. then compare when engine hot .if it spins like the cold spin test then replace the fan thermal clutch.

now on the head gasket there is alot of pressure there . if the gasket is leaking at first it will only leak when the high pressure from cylinder is being created . this is where a compression check would be needed.
  5. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Sorry for the minor hijacking of this thread...
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Thanks j cat, I was busy yesterday and did not get a chance to check the boards.

Not to worry, if it helped you, I hadn't noticed we had two different problems.
  7. Willow

Willow New Member

Went back to shop as it was getting worse (getting hot at under 75 out) and mechanic came out this time. I told him all I replaced and checked and he had me pop the hood. Asked me if it was hot now (yes). Said it is the clutch fan. I went ahead and got the part, now just need time to get it fixed as I am working 12 hr days. BUT this brings me to another question...someone said I should replace it with an electric fan- will improve my horsepower (always a plus) and my mileage (also a plus) and it will run cooler. I looked into it briefly tonight and from what I can surmise I would need a fan off a 99-02 camaro and need to order a wiring kit for it (about $110). So I would be into about $125 plus labor. Now also saw threads (but did not click them) about vehicles not starting after converting. I can't afford to be without my truck as I drive constantly for work. So question is...is it worth the expense and is it something that may go wrong.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

IMO. no.

You never use all the horse power that you have.

The clutch, in the fan, is intended to help with horse power and mileage. Just fix it and you will be fine.
  9. j cat

j cat Active Member

the fan install is much more than plug and play. the fan uses alot of 12volt amps. also you need speed cut out control as well as the engine temp control.

just install the OEM fan clutch and you should be fine.
  10. Willow

Willow New Member

Will do...thanks :)
  11. Willow

Willow New Member

Finally got fan clutch replaced today (did not get electric). That apparently was NOT the issue- though he does sound pretty cool when I take off now. Thermostat was replaced twice last year with no change, pressure test fine, coolant cap replaced, tried adding some stuff advertised to cool better from o'reilly's this week- no change, no water in oil....going to be in high 80's this week...not looking forward to driving with heat on!
  12. j cat

j cat Active Member

since you can hear an air roar when rpm's increase then the old one was bad.

I have read all your replies with this issue. you never stated that you did the air purge procedure that I explained. with trapped air the coolant will not flow correctly and you will get this overheating.
  13. Willow

Willow New Member

Got an answer just now. Took back to shop and they did a test for combustion gasses in coolant. He needs new head gaskets. I am about ready to cry. $1500...can't afford that and probably not reasonable to put that much into a truck with 256,000 mi on it.
  14. j cat

j cat Active Member

with that many miles I would try the coolant head gasket repair additive . you may luck out since it is a small leak. nothing to loose but $10 USD.
  15. Willow

Willow New Member

Won't that gum up other things?
  16. j cat

j cat Active Member

you got $1500 for a head gasket/or more for heads ? this could be head gasket. could also be a small head crack. if its the crack these products will work.

I am sure you have 10 bucks ! you have very little to loose. also since you just replaced these coolants the system is clean and you should have no issues with gumming up things just follow the directions.

I would add the product to the upper radiator hose. drain and remove the thermostat first. then add product to the upper hose . do not install the thermostat. run the engine for a few days see if its good. then put the thermostat in. many with HIGH miles have had this work.

now if the head is heat damaged and distorted twisted that issue may not work but as you know that is a lot more cost than replacing a gasket.
  17. bazar01

bazar01 New Member

With that many miles, I will make sure I do not have any other issues with the engine before i spend $1500. You can probably get a used 100k mile engine for cheap and installed at about the same amount or alittle more for the head gasket replacement.

Example: CHEVY 5.3L VORTEC LS ENGINE - $500 (FOUNTAIN INN)
  18. Willow

Willow New Member

OK, what product do you recommend? Silly question here...but doesn't fluid run through the thermostat and taking it off would leave a hole? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I have not changed out a thermostat myself nor watched it done.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were to go with replacing the engine I would go with a rebuilt/reconditioned, done this before with a conversion van I had. I am probably going to go the $10 route and cross my fingers to start. If it doesn't work...only $10 lost and will consider other options.
  19. j cat

j cat Active Member

Look up the thermostat part/ go to store and buy a new one with the goose neck and thermostat as one part.

when you remove the old one you will see that the retainer that goes across and holds the spring in place is held by 2 arms in a slot . you rotate this steel piece and the spring will release. then you pull out the center portion now you have a hole . the outer edge has an O ring this is the sealing device.

I use a 14 inch pair of channel locks to rotate this retainer .

If this works out then after several days of success install the new thermostat.

new thermostat costs about 23.00....complete with housing and all the seals required.OEM type.

go to your local auto store and see what is available that is made for this type sealing use.

It has been a while since I had to use this type stuff.

use the bars product. check out here
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bar-s-Head-gasket-repair/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=689049

-
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  20. Willow

Willow New Member

Thanks- will give it a shot.