1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Overheating issue in 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Willow, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Willow

Willow Member

RayVoy, I looked at that today actually as someone suggested that. It spins freely. I tried it when it was cold. I never hear my fan run, but it does run when it starts up as it should.

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

spin the clutch fan when cold it should not spin more than 3 rotations. check when engine hot spin again. if it spins the same amount then I would replace the fan clutch.

the other item would be the plastic shrouds around the fan. if these are removed /broken you can get this type problem. also don't forget it could be a head gasket.

3. Willow

Willow Member

Please clarify...it should spin no more than 3 rotations with one good push or should spin no more than 3 rotations with repeated attempts? Oh Lord...don't say head gasket....and how would you test for that?

4. j cat

you give it a good throw and it should not spin more than 3 rotations. then compare when engine hot .if it spins like the cold spin test then replace the fan thermal clutch.

now on the head gasket there is alot of pressure there . if the gasket is leaking at first it will only leak when the high pressure from cylinder is being created . this is where a compression check would be needed.

5. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Sorry for the minor hijacking of this thread...

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Thanks j cat, I was busy yesterday and did not get a chance to check the boards.

Not to worry, if it helped you, I hadn't noticed we had two different problems.

7. Willow

Willow Member

Went back to shop as it was getting worse (getting hot at under 75 out) and mechanic came out this time. I told him all I replaced and checked and he had me pop the hood. Asked me if it was hot now (yes). Said it is the clutch fan. I went ahead and got the part, now just need time to get it fixed as I am working 12 hr days. BUT this brings me to another question...someone said I should replace it with an electric fan- will improve my horsepower (always a plus) and my mileage (also a plus) and it will run cooler. I looked into it briefly tonight and from what I can surmise I would need a fan off a 99-02 camaro and need to order a wiring kit for it (about $110). So I would be into about $125 plus labor. Now also saw threads (but did not click them) about vehicles not starting after converting. I can't afford to be without my truck as I drive constantly for work. So question is...is it worth the expense and is it something that may go wrong.

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

IMO. no.

You never use all the horse power that you have.

The clutch, in the fan, is intended to help with horse power and mileage. Just fix it and you will be fine.

9. j cat

the fan install is much more than plug and play. the fan uses alot of 12volt amps. also you need speed cut out control as well as the engine temp control.

just install the OEM fan clutch and you should be fine.

10. Willow

Willow Member

Will do...thanks :)