1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overnight Battery drain.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Joshua P. Weigum, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Joshua P. Weigum

Joshua P. Weigum New Member

I have a 2003 GMC Denali and just put the Trinity chip on it. When I went to install it the OBD II was dead. I found the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse labeled as the cig lighter. The fuse has not blown again, and now the OBD II works. Woke up the next day and the truck was DEAD... like 4 volts terminal to terminal dead. I had an old battery in it and just thought it was its time. I got it tested and said it was bad so I got a new one. Next morning... Dead again. The amp pull on the cig is .1 amp from what I have found out....
    I tell you all this to pretty much just ask if anyone knows of anything that comes off that fuse that goes bad and drains the battery? Is it possible that I just have a bad cig lighter? (I don't smoke so I do not care if the lighter works, Its nice to have but I would like my OBD II to work...
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. I can't help with your electric problem ( I don't do electronics :grrrrrr: ) but I'm sure someone on the site can help you.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!

You are on the right track with the cigarette lighter route, turn your truck on and push the cigarette lighter in and see if it blows a fuse again. If so you might have a short in the ground wire running to it, but I must say that is weird that the problems started with the Trinity being installed??
  4. Joshua P. Weigum

Well one of the cig lighters did not work when I bought the Denali about 8 months ago. I did not think anything of it because I had others. When I could not get power to the Trinity I looked at the Trinity site and someone said that they had no power and was told to look the fuse... Long story short my fuse was blown so I just replaced it.... I will go try the cig lighter right now and see what happens... I will post back in a few.
  5. TRPLXL2

Just for the hell of it, did your truck have an aftermarket alarm or remote start hooked up to it? I ask because I had an aftermarket alarm hooked up on my truck about ten years ago, and the funny thing was the cigarette lighter never worked (both of them). The other day I was putting some lights under the dash when I noticed some wires hanging down, so I pull the panel and low and behold the installer had cut my cigarette lighter wires to probably use for the 12v and then changed his mind. He never taped them or anything, I wired them back up and now all is good lol! You never know??
  6. Joshua P. Weigum

Well... Hit it with and Amp meter and with the Trinity On it pulls .17 amps. when it powers off it pulls .06 amps and with it unpluged I pull .001 amps. Is .06 amps enough to kill it over night??
    Also the lighter works and does not blow the fuse...
  7. TRPLXL2

The smallest thing I ever had drain a battery over night was a 5 amp switch off one of my neon lights, what you have is hardly even a parasitic draw. There has to be something else drawing on the battery, I know not much help now. I am at a loss now.......but it's good that it didn't blow the fuse again. Hopefully someone else can jump in on this one, sorry I couldn't help more?
  8. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This isnt chevy related but a co-workers daughter had a maxima that did the same thing....turns out the computer was bad.
  9. Joshua P. Weigum

Lets hope that is not the case... Still have not figured it out. Still looking and trying a few things. We will see. I will follow up when I find the prob.
  10. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know how you feel man about a week ago or so my truck one day all of a sudden wouldn't start and pulled and checked things and everything was fine as far as exspensive things which is good. The next day my battery was drained and it was not good so i got a new one and still didn't help the problem. I ended up talking to my buddy at GM dealership and he told me was prob my auto start and come to find out it was and was running normal after it had got taken off...