1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Overtightening of lugnuts and oil drain plug

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RedTruck!, Apr 23, 2013.

1. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

Right from my 2010 1500s owners manual 140ft/lbs
    2010_chevrolet_silverado_owners 571.jpg
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You are good with 120-140ftlbs on the wheels and for the drain plug i just go snug plus a little more. as for using Air tools on wheels you can use them on alloy wheels or steel and if done correctly with the proper sockets and torque sticks you should have no problem removing the lug nuts with hand tools. I do it on my truck at the shop all the time and have no problem removing them with a breaker bar or a longer 1/2in ratchet
  3. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

our biggest problem is service managers were never wrench turners,just quick on the keyboard to keep the money flowing!i owned a garage for quite a while and fixed many a problem from them,i.e. retorqeing wheels to clear up warped rotors,thank god for the help rack for oversized drain plugs,they have the diagnostic ability with g.m.,ill leave it at that!
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

drain plugs shpuld never be put on with an impact! i have done wheel lug nuts with a impact to take them off, then back on, but i use the lowest air settting just to get them started, then i get the torque qrench out and torque to 135....

never had an issue.

Alex
  5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

alright for all the Impact haters out their this is what i use(not same brand) I have never had a problem with wheels coming off or being overly tight, i have even checked them against a torque wrench and have always been withing 2-3 ftlbs using the highest setting on my impact

http://www.tooltopia.com/genius-tool-to405ext.aspx
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I guess that I will be torquing them to 120 from now on.