1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P-0606 code Help?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Curky, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

My light just came on. I ran up to Auto Zone to get a code. I got code P-0606.ECM internal fault. This is what I found. I don't know where the fuse is. I don't have a book. I will go out and check in a minute. Anyone have any experiences with this???

Possible causes
    - Engine Control Module (ECM) Harness power supply circuit is open or shorted
    - Engine Control Module (ECM) Programming
    - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
    [​IMG] Help with this

Tech notes
    Check the PCM fuse, if fuse is OK try erasing the code first and if the code comes back you may have to reprogram or replaced the PCM.
    [​IMG] Help with this

When is the code detected?
    Indicates the PCM has experienced an internal memory fault.
    Symptoms
    - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
    - Engine may not start

P0606 CHEVROLET Description
    The Engine Control Module (ECM) continuously monitors its internal memory status, internal circuits, and output signals to the throttle actuator. This self−check insures that the ECM is functioning properly. If any malfunction is detected, the ECM will set the code and illuminate the engine light.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0606_chevrolet.html#ixzz2QZiqixEI
    Follow us: EngineCodes on Facebook
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Start looking for shorts near the PCM ... frayed wires, +12v wires that have rubbed through and contacted metal, etc. :(
  3. Curky

I can figure things out but I have no idea what and where things are (PCM). point for me and i go it, lol Under the dah passenger side? that is where it was on my :gasp:mustang:whip:

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to take it to my buddy's work tomorrow. He is going to run for code again and reset it.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

It's under the hood, my buddy has an '04 and I think I remember seeing it on the driver's side. If you have an owner's manual, it should be in the pic of what's under the hood.

Sometimes, the problem is a loose/poor PCM ground. A lot of PCMs have been tossed out, when all that was wrong was a bad ground.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

On the NBS trucks it's on the driver's side between the battery and the fuse box. The top of it is close to level with the bottom of the battery, so it's easy to overlook.

I'm not sure where it is on NNBS trucks...
  6. Curky

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I did some research on it. It seems that many times a program flash or update will fix the issue. Most dealers charge around $135 to check what version program you have and then will upgrade it if you have an out of date program.