1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P0440 Code, 2002 silverado 5.3L 2wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Pikey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hi, I have a 02 silverado 5.3L. It is throwing a P0440 code. I replaced the gas cap. That really changed nothing. It used to only happen above 60 degrees outside and under half a tank of fuel. Now it comes on when I get to 3/4 of a tank. I was messing around and grabbed the purge valve on the manifold. I could wiggle it back and forth easily. So I pulled it off and found that the oring looks pretty bad. There were remnants of the blue oring on the ID of the manifold hole. Could this bad oring be causing my code? I am not concerned with how loose it is. My 03 yukon's is the same way. Does anyone know of a source to get just the oring at? Thanks.
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I buy all my replacement o rings at Dorman Inc., Summit Racing and JEGS carry there stuff. I actually just bought an injector rebuild kit from them which included upper and lower o rings for my car for $20.00.

I recently had the p0440 on my 2001 s10, I also replaced the gas cap and nothing. So I did some research and found that sometimes the pintle sticks on the egr valve, sure enough mine was stuck open causing the light to stay on. I took it off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, and the pintle now freely opens and closes. I used my scanner to monitor the % rating, this was a cheap $5.00 fix for me, I did this 3 months ago and the light has not come back on yet.
  3. Pikey

Thanks, I will look into it. But, are you sure you had a PO440 and not a P0404? A 404 indicates an open egr.
  4. TRPLXL2

I went back and checked the history in my truck, and it was a 440 code, reason I remembered was a guy I worked with had the exact same code and he took it to the dealer and they replaced his egr valve which was probably good as his truck only had 54,000 miles on it.
  5. Pikey

interesting. I don't understand how the egr valve would throw an evap malfunction code. But, hey for the $2 gasket it is worth a try. I am selling the truck anyway. I just cleared the code every time it came up for the last 3 years. I did not want someone to buy it and get a SES light before they ran the first tank of gas through.
  6. TRPLXL2

Do you have a scanner that your checking the truck with, or are you taking it somewhere? Reason I ask is that when I did a freeze frame on mine I could see the actual egr purge %, mine was 100% at idle which means it's stuck open. It should always be 0% at idle, that is a fool proof way to check it, you can also check the vent solenoid the same way....
  7. Pikey

I was using my JET power programmer. It is installed on my yukon now. But, I can switch back to the silverado and use the monitor function. Was your truck running rough at all?
  8. Pikey

Well, I went out to pull the egr this morning. Turns out that my model does not have one! I searched and searched, then did some research and found out that apparently some 02 GM trucks with the 5.3L don't have egr valves.
  9. TRPLXL2

Hahaha! Wow I just learned something new, well slap me with the stupid stick.....

To answer your question earlier: Yes my truck was running rough, especially at idle and would not stay steady under any condition. Sorry for being of no help.