P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by dano4003, Sep 14, 2012.

1. dano4003

dano4003 New Member

I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 with the 305. I got this code the other morning. I had someone check it with scanner, and this is the code I got. I was not adding any gas at the time, so the cap was not off. The truck was running at a gas station, I was in getting my morning newspaper.

Went to leave and the "service engine soon" light came on.

This is what google say it is:

This indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system.
    Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

I got the light cleared, check the cap, make sure it was on tight. Drove for about 150 miles and the light came back on. Pretty sure it is the same problem.

Has anyone had a problem like this? and is there anything else I should look for??

Thanks

Dan

My plan is to replace the cap, remove some rust that is on the filler neck and reset the computer again.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's been a problem in a few trucks on here.. Just look around A few members have fixed them.. I gotta do mine before winter Cause my remote start will not work with that light on...:grrrrrr:

3. dano4003

dano4003 New Member

So an update, over the weekend, I cleaned some rust off the filler neck, replace the old gas cap with a new one. Today, when I filled up with some gas, I had the same "service engine soon" light on, I noticed some back pressure when I took off the gas cap. I put the gas cap on tight, when I started the engine, the light came on with all the other lights and "service engine soon" light went off.

My question is, will the lights clear once the problem is fixed?

Thanks

4. Enkeiavalanche

You can try reseting it. or dissconnect the Battery for 20 mins. Al just fixed his and we will do mine soon I used my scanner many times to reset but it comes back and My remote start will not work with the light on..

5. dano4003

dano4003 New Member

Thanks for the reply, my light cleared on it's own, just wondering if they reset once the problem has been fixed???

6. Enkeiavalanche

mine went off for about 2 days and came back on...

7. 4x4squared

4x4squared Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

if the problem is fixed, the code will clear itself automatically....usually. try some vaseline around the rim of the filler neck if the code comes back on and itll help seal it up when the fuel cap is put back on. the fuel cap may also have a small crack or just be worn out to the point where it wont "click down" hard enough to get a good seal. if the vaseline doesnt work, just grab yourself a new fuel cap, theyre usually only like 5-15 dollars for a non-locker.