Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

P0442 Evaporative Emission Leak Detected

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Ben, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Just got a new code reader (one I would highly recommend if anyone is looking for a cheap one) and I got this P0442 Code: Evaporative Emission System Leak (Small Leak).

Anyway, in my mind it seems negligible and I cleared the code to see if the light comes on again, but just thought I'd check if anyone knows what causes this problem/what I could possibly do to remedy it? Or if I even need to fix it?

Thanks very much in advance!

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

the evap leaks are a pain to track down. after having my fuel pump replaced they left one of the hoses off the evap canister and was getting a major leak. once that was fixed I started getting the small leak code after like every few weeks. didnt do anything about the small leak and eventually it stopped giving me the code :great:. Not sure thats really a fix though. small and even large leaks are hard to find. start with gas cap then check hoses going to and from evap canister for cuts etc. Some shops can smoke test the system to find the leak. but its difficult to track down especially the small leaks.

3. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the info. Good to know! I'm not overly concerned, more just curious than anything else. I'll begin to search for it if the light comes on again

4. david12601

david12601 New Member

I had the same code after hours of troubleshooting I found a pinhole had rusted through the fuel filler about 2 inches down from the top. T took JB weld and a little dab and it was fixed

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I had the code a few weeks ago First it said loose Gas cap So the dealer got me a new one.. A week later it was back ended up being a Vent above the gas tank.. They replaced that and all good.. They said it happens all the time. It gets stuck open..