1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P0446 EVAP Code (check engine light)

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Got that on my recipect from the dealership from my check engine light. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I didn't want to pay the $973 + Taxes to get it fixed so i'm going to do it myself. Ordering in the parts later today.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

PO446 EVAP code

I think that was the code my 05 threw back in May and found the EVAP solenoid was bad. GM has a updated solenoid I purchased from local Chevy dealer (couldnt fine a aftermarket part) for $150.00. You have to run a hose from valve to front of truck for the vent. I mounted mine up near brake booster to keep water out when off road. Make sure you use fuel hose for vent line. I think the hose was 5/8 diameter.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is a common problem. Mine was replaced under warranty.
  4. ippielb

Can someone show me a picture of this please?
  5. ippielb

Never mind, took it to a different shop, and i had them clean out my hoses and the compressor and everything. $70 instead of $1000, i think i made the right choice.
  6. kinglt1

kinglt1 Member

7. ippielb

So, two days ago, my check engine light came back on, I go to part source and get my codes read(for free i might add) Threw the same code. So, I knew exactly what happened, either they didn't do a good enough job to clean it, or they didn't put it all back together properly. And after the guy read my codes, i start my truck back up, and the light is off now, did he erase the code? I was planning on going back to the shop i went to and show them my lights back on, and they didn't fix it properly. If they read my codes again, will it show up? Or will did the guy erase it? And it wont show up anymore...?
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Unfortunately he erased the code and with it the freeze frame data. The code is probably still is history codes however. The freeze frame data is very helpful in diagnosing the code. It shows when the code set and what was going on at that time.
  9. ippielb

So, if i wait will the light come back on? Or am i basically screwed now?
  10. caterpillarmx

caterpillarmx New Member

had same problem

i had the same code on my 2005 tahoe. i used alldata to help me with pictures and descriptions. removed vent valve and inspected. ended up purchasing new valve from dealer for $30.00, installed and cleared code with scan tool. problem is gone. did the repair back in january.