1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

P0449 cel

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Als09Sierra, Aug 24, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I got the CEL displayed and am reading the P0449 code. Has anyone had to replace the EVAP solenoid and how difficult is it? I'd prefer to do it myself then to pay the $400+ to the dealership. The service department did send me the service bulletin, below, but I haven't had a chance to crawl under the truck yet to gauge how difficult this will be.

#02-06-04-037J: Check Engine Light On, Fuel Tank Hard to Fill, DTCs P0442, P0446, P0455 or P0449 Set (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Sloenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit) - (Mar 20, 2012)
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG]Subject:[/TD]
    [TD]Check Engine Light On, Fuel Tank Hard to Fill, DTCs P0442, P0446, P0455 or P0449 Set (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 95%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]2007-2010 GMC Sierra Models (Including Hybrid)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[HR][/HR]
    [HR][/HR]​
    This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037I (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).
    [HR][/HR]​

Condition

Some customers may comment about the check engine light being illuminated. They may also comment that their vehicle is difficult to fill with fuel or when filling, the pump continuously shuts off before the tank is full.
    When checking the vehicle for DTCs, the ECM may report one or more of the following DTCs set as current or in history: P0442, P0446, P0449 or P0455.

Cause

The EVAP canister vent solenoid (CVS) valve draws fresh air into the system through a vent.
    Under certain operating conditions, dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP CVS fresh air intake/venting system, may result in restricted air flow.
    Under certain operating conditions, water, if ingested into the EVAP CVS fresh air intake/venting system, may reach the CVS valve causing corrosion in the CVS valve, and may cause restrictions in the fresh air intake path, when the valve is in the closed position.
    Correction (2007-2010 New Style Models)

After following the published SI diagnostics and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the EVAP canister vent valve assembly and relocate the remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.
    Important: DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.
    Use Service Kit P/N 19207763

[TABLE="width: 95%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]1.[/TD]
    [TD]Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2.[/TD]
    [TD]Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]3.[/TD]
    [TD]Disconnect the vent valve pipe quick connect from the canister.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]4.[/TD]
    [TD]Either cut the existing valve vent pipe and leave the remaining section of pipe in the vehicle or remove along with the valve.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]5.[/TD]
    [TD]Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]6.[/TD]
    [TD]Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) and retain the pipe for use with new valve.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]7.[/TD]
    [TD]Connect the canister pipe quick connect to the canister.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2500 Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Temperature Sensor and Compressor Controls
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

1500 Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Temperature Sensor and Compressor Controls
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]8.[/TD]
    [TD]Install the new canister vent valve solenoid to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket as shown above. The valve port closest to the electrical connector must point towards the canister.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]9.[/TD]
    [TD]Cut bulk 5/8” heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the solenoid and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]10.[/TD]
    [TD]Attach bulk 5/8” heater hose to the vent port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the passenger side area above the transmission.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]11.[/TD]
    [TD]Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]12.[/TD]
    [TD]Remove the transmission heat shield, if necessary.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]13.[/TD]
    [TD]Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [TR]
    [TD]14.[/TD]
    [TD]Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]15.[/TD]
    [TD]Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]16.[/TD]
    [TD]Reinstall the transmission heat shield.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]17.[/TD]
    [TD]Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]18.[/TD]
    [TD]Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]19.[/TD]
    [TD]Lower the vehicle.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Parts Information

[TABLE="width: 95%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Part Number[/TD]
    [TD]Description[/TD]
    [TD]Qty[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]19207762 (1999-2003 Model Year)[/TD]
    [TD]Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]19207763 (2004-2010 Model Year)[/TD]
    [TD]Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve[/TD]
    [TD]1
    $159.06[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]9438383 (5/8” X 25' roll)[/TD]
    [TD]Hose[/TD]
    [TD]Cut to Length
    $4/ft[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12337820[/TD]
    [TD]Tie-Strap[/TD]
    [TD]5
    $2 eacj[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]11609970[/TD]
    [TD]Clamp[/TD]
    [TD]2 (1999-2003)

or

4 (2004-2008)
    $2.25 each[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Rockstar 100 Posts

Al,
    This was one of the things they replaced when I was having all the issues with my CEL. They did the work under warranty. So I can't really help you there.. but if the CEL remains on then it might be the same issue I was having on mine..

btw, since they dropped the tank and replaced the fuel sending unit I have gone about 2 weeks with no CEL (but I have been riding my bike a lot also...)

3. Als09Sierra

Thanks Billy. Glad you don't have the CEL any more and are getting time out on the bike.

The truck runs fine, but the CEL stays on even after I reset with my iphone app. I'm hopeful that I can do this without too much trouble. It's tough to get time to work on the truck lately.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Morning Al... Just got in from an event in pa at 4am.. My 00449 code has been on and off for the past 2 months. I too have tried to reset it and it won't and My remote start won't work with it on other then that my truck is running fine so for now I leave it on... If you feel like doing a little Mod party and fixing yours let me know and I'll drive over and the 2 of us can fix them together.. I'll bring the drinks and I have car ramps and a good jack..

5. Als09Sierra

That sounds like a good idea. We have to order the parts, and plan a weekend to do the work. Let me know if you can arrange to have the girls serving us drinks too. :lol:

6. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Hi Al, I have the 06 model and had the same thing happen. The dealer charged me $130.00 for the part and $8-$10 for the hose and clamps at local hardware store. It took me about 30 minutes to complete. I jacked the body up by the hitch till just before the tires left the floor to allow room to work. Running the hose up to the top of the transfer/tranny area took most of the time. That was 1.5 yrs ago and no light since. hope that helps you out. BRB

7. Enkeiavalanche

Thanks.... Al I will look into it... I gotta do front pads again too..

8. Als09Sierra

Thanks Brian, good to see you on here. Glad to hear from someone who's done this. I think the prices are consistent with what my dealer quoted me. If [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] and myself decide to do this, we'll post up how it went.

9. Als09Sierra

Ok. Let's plan a day and order some parts.

10. Enkeiavalanche

Ok Let me see whats going on next week... IMG_6556.jpg I'll ask the girls...... DSCF9695.JPG