1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P0449

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by fleet20, Jul 25, 2009.

1. fleet20

fleet20 New Member

Hey, Im new here, sure this has been asked before,,,but I had Auto Zone tell me why my check engine light came on. After checking it out,,,it come out with P0449,,,BBEVAP (large leak detected),,,not really sure what that is or what I need to do. I have a 06 Chevy Silverado with 38000 miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This could be as simple as your gas cap is loose, but this also can refer to the charcoal canister, as part of the system that recyles the exhaust fumes, start checking tubing and connections under the hood and back to the fuel tank, its just detecting a leak somewhere in the system where air/fumes are escapeing
  3. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

check you gas lines if there cracked from front to back.

also check if your gas cap is closed right, sometimes if you use those key lock gas caps it will leak through the little hole.
  4. fleet20

fleet20 New Member

So is this something I should be stressing over,,Ive read a few blogs where people have hunted for months?,,,,,,thanks for the input
  5. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L flex fuel, got AC Delco part # 214-2149 Evap Solenoid from RockAuto.com....it was $27 delivered to my house, a lenght of heater hose, and 2 clamps later, three trips with the truck, light went off. The one thing that concerned me was my choice of heater hose.....it was 5/8, if you can find something a little more thinner walled and flexible that will hold up to the elements, I'd rather do that.:great:
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just got mine reset, it was an issue with the vent that is on top of the gas tank, so the tank had to be dropped to get at it. It cost me 150 to have it done and considering the cold, snow and the fact that i have a 44 gallon tank it was well worth it.