1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

P1870 code help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by daddytech, Jun 14, 2009.

1. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I took a little trip to Memphis this past weekend to pick up a motor for my sons 88 S-10. I was pulling my car trailer with an engine hoist, and the 350 4 bolt main block i was trading even for the complete running 2.8 replacement motor. by the time i made it from Nashville to Jackson I had the SES light pop on. the truck started to shift really sloppy after that and almost like i was losing power the further along i went with it. The gentleman i was doing the motor swap with just happened to have a code reader at his house and was nice enough to check the codes for me and there was two instances of the P1870 code in the computer.

I had him clear the codes for me and i was able to drive back with the new motor for my son's truck at speeds of 70- 75 where with the codes registered in the computer i could only go 55 to 60 and felt like the truck was really straining to do that. After the codes were cleared it was acting right again and i didn't have any more problems.

When i left the guy's house i checked the fluid because the code refered to fluid level and the torqe converter clutch solenoid both. turns out the fluid is about a quart over full. I made it back to Nashville with it, running 70-75 with no problems but it's REALLY weak all of a sudden.

I am starting to realize that i will probably have to switch out the TCC soilenoid but not sure how easy it is to get to. I have found replacement parts for around $25.00 but not sure where it's located or how to get to it. Anyone able to give me a helpful hint or guide to it? I am not a transmission man by any stretch , usually if the transmission gets weak, I just replace it. this time i want to be sure that i just don't keep driving it this way. getting ready to make the fluid levels right. I put in a drain plug the first time i changed out the trans fluid so i can control how much i take out of it but any help with the TCC module would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Jim
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's probably NOT the TCC solenoid. If it were it would set a circuit code. The P1870 is a performance code. Like I mentioned in another thread the most likely cause is a worn TCC regulator bore. Sonnax makes the reamer but the reamer is expensive. Rather than buy a tool you will never use again consider a reman valve body. Check out VBX reman valve bodies on the web.