1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Paint Job and Body Work...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I know I haven't gotten around to getting pictures of my sub yet, but at the same time, I'm somewhat ashamed of how it looks. The truck needs a paint job BAD. My uncle is saying that it requires body work, although I'm not sure about that... Has anyone else gotten a paint job done on their 'burb? How much did it cost? Did you have them change the window seals while they were painting the truck? Thanks. I'm so afraid of the sticker shock of a paint job.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think I can kind of relate to your situation. Once mine is ready it's going in for paint, but you'll probably have yours done before me.
    Sorry, I can't be of more help.
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think your best bet is to shop around and get the feel for the shop itself. ie Do they they make you feel comfortable or a complete tool. Is there shop clean, pictures of previous jobs? Once your build a trust then you can move forward relative to your job ie. How much money you can send? What you would like it to look like? Body repairs even to minor areas still need attention somewhere along the job. GM's famous for rotten cab corners and bad clear coat. Anybodys guess would be just that...a guess.
    Hope I didn't scare you
  4. TrailLeadr

I think that's really great advice!!!:cool:
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

well, a couple days ago, I finally got around to bringing the truck to a shop to get an estimate, and I almost fainted when I heard the estimate...8 grand. I'm still looking around for some little local guy or a friend who knows a friend with a paint gun and a good hand.

I'm now up against a wall with multiple desicsions. Keep this truck, work on it, build it up, or find another truck with a good paint job and start from there. I would like to have 4x4 in my sub, which I have previously asked about. I know it's possible, and at a premium, but I can't decide if it's really worth going with.
    My big problem is that I got this truck for a steal of a price (1500), it's got a good motor, tranny, interior, and body, which seems to be hard to find, at least down here regardless of price. For me to land another truck in this condition with 4x4 in it is going to be very rare if possible at all. For now I have no choice but to keep working on this one, and only do mods that with a little work can be moved to another truck if the chance happens.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  6. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

$8K!!!!??? Ouch!
  7. TrailLeadr

Wow! 8K that's not even pretty steep, that's excessive? Were you asking about pearl coats?
  8. Crawdaddy

all I asked was to paint it...nothing more, and he said that, but, that's also a dealer-quality job most likely which would be pulling the windows out, trim, everything to get it to bare sheet metal on the outside. So, it's alot in that job, but I'd still consider 8 grand to paint it...rape...
  9. TrailLeadr

I figured you were going for a professional job, but I agree that's too high.
  10. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I could drive down to New Orleans, sand it and paint it and it still wouldn't cost you $8000....Holy moly