1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Paint

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Dennis Shipman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dennis Shipman

Dennis Shipman New Member

I want to paint my '93 Suburban K2500, which has been fully worked with a GM Performance 350 CID/340 H.P. crate motor (stock color code but with the highest quality paint I can afford, which is a large part of the problem) and completely new assessories, but the quotes I have received from high end body shops have ranged from $3,000 to $7,000. I respect craftmanship but $7,000 for a re-paint on a government suplus, fleet maintained vehicle with no rust that only needs it surface roughed for the paint seems exorbitant. I am in Delaware, which borders South Jersey, Philadelphia and environs; all of Delaware, and Maryland down to B'more. Anyone have any suggestions? (The shop I go to will also paint my numbers matching '79 Z-28 Camaro with a factory 4-speed. It needs much, much more work, though.):gasp:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!!!

What type or brand of paint are you going for? PPG, House of Kolor or what?

One suggestion I can make is this, go to your local paint store and see if they carry a brand of paint called shopline. It is PPG's low end paint, but it is excellent quality for a third of the cost. Example I bought a gallon of GM torch red paint for my firebird for $230, when the PPG version was over $1,500 for the same color! Just a thought.....

BTW- Your estimate is pretty much standard going rate, I got an estimate for $8,000 to two tone my 2001 s10 with just plain black and red...
  3. Dennis Shipman

Thank you. I took that approach years ago, and had a guy shoot my Buick Opal GT with Dupont Black Imron. Suffice it to say, he did less than a stellar job. The paint was soft because he did not cover it with clear and, as such, scratched easily. Buying paint is easy. It is prepping, spraying, and ensuring the job is done right but for under $3,000 that is the problem...
  4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Find an employee of the higher end body shop, buy a couple of pints and a few twelve packs and strike a cash deal with him/them to do all the prep work . then take it in to have someone shoot it and put in the oven.
  5. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, Dennis:

I live on the West Coast, so I can't make any suggestions as to where you can go over there. But having painted a few cars over the years, and just painted my truck (it was a full disassembly and take down to bare metal, for about $15,000.00 including all the OEM replacement parts), I can make one suggestion that more than one restorer has told me:

Find a small town somewhere around you. Maybe within 1-3 hours drive time. Go talk to some of their customers if possible after you meet the owner. But these shops have more time to spend on individual cars to do what you need, and they should charge a little less per hour. I knew a guy who has since passed away who restored many very old and rare cars. He had them all painted by a small shop in a small town about two hours south of Seattle.
  6. Dennis Shipman

I thought about this approach for virtually all of the reasons you mentioned. I need to do both vehicles. But since I drive the 'burb daily (although people think I'm crazy given gas prices), and the Camaro needs much more work, I need to get that running before even locating a small shop with a good paint booth, and good painter... 'cause I will need something to drive for at least a day or two while my 'burb is curing. Thanks.
  7. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

One reason paint jobs cost so much is the E.P.A. and O.S.H.A. have helped the paint shops to the point that they need an arm and a leg to comply with the regulations. Expensive respirators, water based paints, inspected paint booths and filters have run many independent shops out of business. I have a mechanic friend that made his own temporary paint booth out of plastic drop cloth material and paints his own cars because of the cost of commercial shops. He is getting better at it. I personally painted my '85 Chev 1500 with rattle cans, it looks darn good ( from a distance) and I can touch it up my own damn self. Unless you use 2 part self hardening paint, there's nothing better than a heat oven.