1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Paint

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MD4x4 Fireman, Sep 30, 2007.

1. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was gonna by high temp paint and paint my manifolds but my grandfather who was a mechanic told me the paint will burn off. is there any paint that would stay on it and not burn?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I can't remember using it on manifolds, but I have used VHT's high temp paint on headers and it works great.
  3. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

Powdercoat FTW! I know of guys that have powdercoated their turbos, and it hasn't burned off yet.
  4. phontek642

phontek642 New Member

I agree with Skarch, powder coat is deffinately the way to go.
  5. MD4x4 Fireman

i only plan on keeping it for a while so i dont wanna powder coat anything. i just wanted to paint them so they arent rust colored
  6. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

Powdercoat may not hold up to the high temps!! Also preping the manifold is time consuming and potentially expensive!! VHT paint is designed for manifolds and headers. I've used it a lot with great luck.
  7. MD4x4 Fireman

thanks guys
  8. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I third the VHT high heat paint, I've had good luck with it too. Are you going to take them off Matt and then paint?
  9. MD4x4 Fireman

well i had just put them back on so i will use a brush to put in. my dad said if he was gonna help me i had to put them on now.
  10. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm not so sure you can buy that stuff to paint on, but I'm probably wrong. To get a nice finish on it, it would be good if you could pop them back off so you can make them look sweet. As far as colour don't use that Kansas chrome LOL (Sorry Jeff I couldn't resist)