Painted 08 Headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Never Enough, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Has anyone cracked open their lights to paint the insides yet? I did this with the sport compact I had a few years ago and it worked great. Havent torn into the silverados yet though... I want to paint the non-reflective pieces black to match the theme of the truck...
    Here is my Matrix I color matched back in the day: [media]http://neverenoughauto.com/images/common_images/Matrix1.jpg[/media]

Thanks!
  2. zach45

zach45 New Member

i want to .. i wanna take out the reflector or possably paint it white..
    i dont have the balls to do it ...

if anyone wants to trade there cleared or painted white nnbs headlight for my stockers + cash pm me
  3. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Maybe I'll do a How-To when I finally do it. Bought the paint this weekend.
  4. zach45

zach45 New Member

how are you going ot do it.. heat and pry? or cut it?
    please take alot of pics?

wanna do mine ill $ you
  5. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

I'll do yours after I do mine (and learn from doing mine...). Yes, heat in the oven, and pry them open. Scary as crap though... I remember waiting the 20minutes when I did my Matrix ones. Chewed through my nails...
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

that will look cool :great:
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

No offense, but if you paint the reflector or remove it, it will SERIOUSLY degrade the performance of the light. It probably isn't legal in most places and could actually be unsafe.

Just my .02
  8. zach45

zach45 New Member

no just the orange reflectors..

ill probally just tank mines out..

now let me ask you... if you **** mine up what would happen?
    maybe if you clear yours send them to me and ill send you mines along with a check for your trubble..
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member

I've seen soo many chivics and other such ricer mobiles driving around with headlights with all kinds of condensation inside of them. me->:rofl:
  10. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Drivers side is in the oven as I type. Man I hate this part....lol.
  11. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Someone should put a pic up of this, I'm not sure what is being discussed being painted.
  12. common dude

common dude New Member

headlights?
  13. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Let us know how it comes out. I am considering a set of black halos. But painting is cheaper, just afraid of leaking issues in the futur if I go the route you are going.
  14. zach45

zach45 New Member

steve were talking about taking out the orange reflectors in the headlights. or as in this case painting them.

i want to take out my reflector.. altho painted white would look good..
  15. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Actually, I'm talking about painting the unnecessary chrome surfaces of the headlights black and leaving the reflective surfaces and orange reflectors. Similar to the headlights in the new Tahoe's, Avs and Trailblazers.
    I cannot for the life of me get this adhesive to break loose. I've had it up to 310F and its still like hard rubber.

Here, this guy did it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2945587

I've emailed him requesting info but he hasn't answered, and I doubt he'll be too eager to give away his tips...

I may be buying the set of Anzo Projectors....
  16. carey965

carey965 New Member

did it with my cavalier all you need is a heat gun, sharp knife and a flat head screwdriver for prying

and make sure you use a flat black, you dont see the imperfections as much. my brother in law used glossy and it didnt look as good as the flat

just make sure you use a good amount of silicone sealant and you should have no problems with leaking or fogging over
  17. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

I cant get it. ticks me right off. My Matrix I did was super easy. These Silverado units just dont want to come appart. 310F and 10 minutes and the glue they use is still like hard rubber. Thinking I'll just end up getting the Anzo Projector/Halos.....even though I dont like them. That, or I'll just tint the lens of the stock lights. Drives me nutts though....that other guy did it....I'd like to know what temp he baked them at.
  18. AllBlkdOut07

AllBlkdOut07 New Member

19. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

Thank you thank you thank you. That method was a consideration.... I'll do it tonight.
  20. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Keep us updated. I might have to give that a shot as well.