Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Painted emblems

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by kwalls22, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

Painted my bowties and silverado badges

I painted my silverado letters on the door as well as my bowties. Here are the pics let me know what you guys think. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

i used the krylon fusion spray paint with a satin finish. I also used a self etching primer by duplicolor after sanding them down. The bowtie was taken off when i painted it. It was very easy to take off.

3. Alex

Alex New Member

nice job i'm looking to do the same thing (just bowties) with my truck. What grit of sand paper did you use? Wet sand?

Then Duplicolor etching primer then Krylon fusion paint then sating finish- how many coats of each?

thanks!

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That looks really nice... Time consuming i am sure..

5. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

I started with 100 grit sandpaper and worked my way down to 220 grit. After sanding make sure to wipe down the surface that is goin to get painted to remove any small particles on it. I used paint thinner because it helps to remove contaminants as well. Let it dry and do one more time of wiping it down to make sure its clean since you are doing the bowtie you have to make sure that you have good adhesion with all the rocks that will hit the front of your truck when driving down the road. After it was wiped down for the second time i started to spray very light coats of the duplicolor self etching primer on the emblems. I did about 4 to 5 thin coats (make sure that everything has a solid coating of the primer on it) making sure that it was dry each time before i added the next coat. After i had a solid coat of the primer on i waited about 30 mins then started with the krylon fusion. Again i did very light coats waiting for each to dry before applying the next coat. With the krylon, i did about 6 to 7 small coatings be sure to let the krylon take its time to dry when painting it takes much longer than the self etching primer does. After i was sure i had a solid amount of coats on there i let the bowtie sit outside in the sun for an hour or so to make sure it dried all the way and then popped the bowtie back on the truck and was good to go. The krylon fusion comes in different finishes and colors i chose black with the satin finish because i felt it would go good with the plastic mirrors and door handles and bumper on my truck. But the krylon can come in a flat, satin, gloss, and high gloss finish you just decide on what you want. Keep in mind a flat and satin finish helps to hide defects in the paint job and the bowtie a lot more than gloss or high gloss. Hope this helps and good luck post pictures when you get done and send me the link.

6. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Rockstar 100 Posts

Wow, that looks incredible.

7. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks good man. Lol i bet that was time consuming and my bow ties i just bought a pair that was gloss black to match my truck for about $65-$70 bucks awhile back. I would have done it myself just the time it would take me and everything and i thought i would mess it up i just went ahead and bought some. Again nice work looks good!

8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Looks really good,especially the letters on the door.

9. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this for a long while.. please keep us updated on how well they stand upto the elements. They look amazing.

10. Collin01

Collin01 Member

looks great man!