1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Painted Gloss Black Rockstarr Center Caps and Chrome star to match hope it will work!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Rockstarrchevy81, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well today i ended up finding a extra rockstarr center cap that i had got for free when one center cap was messed up! They are the same as the ones i have on the truck now so i decided to test some painting out on it! I popped off the fake chrome allen bolt's which is very easily with a screw driver. I then took the chrome star off which is easy also 4 or 5 screws hold it on the center cap. I only used 320 grit sand paper to dull the chrome didnt take long at all by hand. I washed it off and made sure it dried then i painted it with the Rustoleum Plastic spray paint and no promer is needed with it. I gave it about 4 light coats and have it sitting out to dry until tomorrow!

I then used the 320 grit sand paper on the black center cap and was really easy to prep for paint except the star cut out took maybe 10 min to sand and get all the spots just right! I then washed and dried it and gave it 4 light coats one after another after a few minutes and will be drying until tomorrow also. I hope that the paint sticks and if it does it's really not that bad at all to do maybe 45 min. to do both parts! Oh and the post's i already cut down so i can use that one to put on the truck so i would only need to do 3 more and have them installed! I will update everyone tomorrow how it turned out and take a pic!

2. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

It's going to look really good on your truck if the paint sticks!

3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Rockstar your truck is pretty sick as is, but that mod should help it even more.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

should look good. guess we'll wait for tomorrow to find out.

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Looking forward to the pics!

6. Rockstarrchevy81

thanks guy! I tried to use vinyl to black them out first last week but that stuff is a pain in the assss! Ha well yeah i'll know tomorrow it seemed to be sticking pretty good with the 4 light coats on put on them and the sanding didnt take any time! How long should i wait until i can put them on my truck?

7. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 Member 100 Posts

You should be fine to put them on after three or four hours of drying for spray paint(I have a lot of experience painting with spray paints lol) just make sure you have at least two light and one medium coat of clear or you will be repainting them soon

8. Rockstarrchevy81

yeah ill clear them tomrrow man thanks!

9. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 Member 100 Posts

No problem. Your truck deserves to look good everywhere, so wouldn't want the paint to chip off on ya. Im painting some more things on my truck tomorrow, so I can tell what processes work and on what they work on.

10. Rockstarrchevy81

Yeah i guess i'll get some duplicolor clear coat to put on the outside and give it a good 4 light coats on them! I think i might have a bottle of duplicolor that will color match my paint in black would that be okay to use on top of the other spray paint?