GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Painted Gloss Black Rockstarr Center Caps and Chrome star to match hope it will work!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Rockstarrchevy81, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member

Well today i ended up finding a extra rockstarr center cap that i had got for free when one center cap was messed up! They are the same as the ones i have on the truck now so i decided to test some painting out on it! I popped off the fake chrome allen bolt's which is very easily with a screw driver. I then took the chrome star off which is easy also 4 or 5 screws hold it on the center cap. I only used 320 grit sand paper to dull the chrome didnt take long at all by hand. I washed it off and made sure it dried then i painted it with the Rustoleum Plastic spray paint and no promer is needed with it. I gave it about 4 light coats and have it sitting out to dry until tomorrow!

I then used the 320 grit sand paper on the black center cap and was really easy to prep for paint except the star cut out took maybe 10 min to sand and get all the spots just right! I then washed and dried it and gave it 4 light coats one after another after a few minutes and will be drying until tomorrow also. I hope that the paint sticks and if it does it's really not that bad at all to do maybe 45 min. to do both parts! Oh and the post's i already cut down so i can use that one to put on the truck so i would only need to do 3 more and have them installed! I will update everyone tomorrow how it turned out and take a pic!
  2. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin New Member

It's going to look really good on your truck if the paint sticks!
  3. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member

Rockstar your truck is pretty sick as is, but that mod should help it even more.
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

should look good. guess we'll wait for tomorrow to find out.
  5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member

Looking forward to the pics!
  6. Rockstarrchevy81

thanks guy! I tried to use vinyl to black them out first last week but that stuff is a pain in the assss! Ha well yeah i'll know tomorrow it seemed to be sticking pretty good with the 4 light coats on put on them and the sanding didnt take any time! How long should i wait until i can put them on my truck?
  7. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member

You should be fine to put them on after three or four hours of drying for spray paint(I have a lot of experience painting with spray paints lol) just make sure you have at least two light and one medium coat of clear or you will be repainting them soon
  8. Rockstarrchevy81

yeah ill clear them tomrrow man thanks!
  9. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member

No problem. Your truck deserves to look good everywhere, so wouldn't want the paint to chip off on ya. Im painting some more things on my truck tomorrow, so I can tell what processes work and on what they work on.
  10. Rockstarrchevy81

Yeah i guess i'll get some duplicolor clear coat to put on the outside and give it a good 4 light coats on them! I think i might have a bottle of duplicolor that will color match my paint in black would that be okay to use on top of the other spray paint?
  11. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member

yeah that would work, if you do add the color match paint, do at least four coats, then compare to your trucks paint, and add more coats if they're needed.
  12. Rockstarrchevy81

Alright well i might do that or i might not either way the paints are going to be very simliar in my opinion. The clear coat will def. be needed though..
  13. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 New Member

yes it is, unless you want to be repainting them soon lol.
  14. Rockstarrchevy81

ha okay well the paint sticked and the one star and center cap look good! I got 1 Star painted and 2 center caps will finish the rest this weekend! About to upload some pic's.
  15. Rockstarrchevy81

10-14-11_1251.jpg 10-14-11_1252.jpg 10-14-11_1253.jpg Here is 1 done i put around 2 light coats and 2 medium coats of Duplicolor Clear Coat.
  16. Rockstarrchevy81

I have drill this weekend so it might be monday before i get all of them done and back on the truck. The Center caps you can sand them down fairly easy compared to the Star's they are more of a pain and time consuming. I have 2 Center caps Painted and Clear coated and already got the 3rd center cap sanded ready for paint. The duplicolor Color Match paint i tried out on a star and it doesn't bond good at all with plastic! The paint i used was Rustoleum Speciality Plastic it's a nice gloss black. The duplicolor did not bond good and was dripping off so i just used some adhesive remover and cleaned the star up. I didn't finish because the bottle was already used when i got it 1/4 of the way and ran out so gotta get another can and got plenty of clear clat left!