1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painted tail lights

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Burden33, Feb 15, 2012.

1. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

hmm yah looks pretty good even with just straight white, a bit surprised it came out so good
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

The other way to do this is to add the paint to some clear. You could do a 5:1 mixture and paint the entire lens and still have enough transparency so that your brake/parking lights are still visible.

I plan on color matching my taillights but right now it seems I only have time for mods on other peoples autos!
  3. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Have you done that before? Because that has caught my attention haha

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It looks really good. I cant do anything like that here in Myrtle Beach, Probably would get a ticket very quickly. They don't play here when it comes to modifying any lights!!!
  5. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

@Burden...Nice job. you chose a good thickness. Thanks for sharing the pics.
  6. Burden33

Burden33 New Member

i was thinking about doing what sstoner said but i figuered the cops would of nailed me big time plus with all of our snow storms i rather have the person behind me see me
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Burden, I think you made a solid decision for several reasons. 1) You're street legal. 2) You could have gotten away with blacking out your tails but everyone with white trucks tends to black out/tint the tails and go black/white in look. 3) Your approach gives you a look all your own.

As for the cops nailing you, I doubt it. You might get pulled but given your profession I'd think professional courtesy would be extended. That's the way the world tends to work...
  8. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

burd, that came out great! awesome job with it. Looks identical to the picture you showed me, thumbs up! How many coats did you go with?
  9. 747

747 New Member

It reminds me of the old caddy lights that people put on silverados.
  10. Burden33

Burden33 New Member

thanks guys i lost track of coats but i made sure i did about 4 coats in black until i could not see the light anymore and the did alot of light coats of white to make sure it dried and did run and the i did about another 4 coats of clear.

that was the idea behind it 7 im still looking at adding the old caddy lights when the dent is fixed and i figuer out what im going to do with my reverse lights