1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painted Tailgate Bowtie

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by lancer, Feb 23, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. lancer

lancer New Member 100 Posts

Hey everyone i just ordered the newer chevy emblem for my tailgate (oem for 07-10) and i'm thinking of painting it black like the front one. i'm going to leave the chrome ring around it but paint the gold center. has anyone else done this (have pictures) i'm just afraid it may be TOO much black. any opinions would be great

Thanks guys

Andy
  2. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member 100 Posts

It will look much better painted black.
  3. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'll agree on this one, gold is a little too common and it you have it off why not just paint it?
  4. lancer

well i was planning on it but you guys just helped me make up my mind :great::great:
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Black would like great. It is not hard at all, I just lightly sanded the area to paint, sprayed a couple coats of adhesion promoter then a light coats of black until it was how I wanted it to look and let it dry overnight.
    [​IMG]
  6. lancer

GREAT!!! thats what i was looking for was a picture of it done. hopefully i'll have the new emblem by the weekend. i gotta take the sticker cheverolet off the tailgate. i painted my front one. i didn't relize it was just an emblem until the last couple weeks so i found a new oem one on ebay for $32
  7. RICKZ710

RICKZ710 New Member

I color coded both front & back ties ,vent shades etc. on my 2010 Z and it looks great !
  8. lancer

well guys i got the cheverolet off the tailgate. used a heat gun and it peeled right off. got the new bowtie sanded and painted sprayed a thin coat of clear on it and since the sun is actaully SHINING here today its sitting outside drying. hoping to get it put on later this after noon. i've got some before during and hopefully after pics i'll put up :great:
  9. lancer

got it all painted and put on and i think its looks great!! so much better than before
    stocker sticker
    [​IMG]

sticker gone
    [​IMG]

waxed and cleaned
    [​IMG]

New Bowtie all painted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also put on my Rough Country Sticker
    [​IMG]
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well you are the first one I have seen do that mod to the tailgate, it is not my cup of tea but you did a nice job making it straight on the tailgate. Keep up the great work on the truck! :sign0173: