1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting a tool box

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by muddmonkey, Jul 5, 2009.

1. muddmonkey

muddmonkey New Member

ok so i have a aluminum chrome tool box and i'm tired of the chrome left on my tuck. is there any way i could paint it the color of my truck (black)? if so what is all the steps to do so so i could get a good looking product and it withstand for a long time!

thanks in advance :yipi:
  2. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

Clean it, sand it, prime it and then put some good black paint (I've had luck with Krylon Fusion) with a clear coat. It should come out pretty nice and stand up to the elements well. Hopefully someone else has some better experience with things like this though and can give you some more detailed pointers.

-Greg
  3. Gnarnar

Gnarnar New Member

Thats good or if you have the money take it to get powder-coated. It'll be much more durable.
  4. muddmonkey

muddmonkey New Member

well i would just rather do it myself but how much does the powder coating run and also if i would do it myself how much would i be spending?
  5. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 New Member 100 Posts

Considering how big your standard tool box is... and the cost of one can of spray paint being anywhere from $5-6...I'd say to get a good layer/coating of paint on it... $50 on just paint, primer and clear coat... (i'm going by my usage of paint over the past few weeks..) so excluding other materials like sandpaper/scrubbing materials... I would consider having it powder coated... When I bought my tool box I knew i wasn't going to be a fan of the chrome ones...with the shine eventually dulling and water marks... I went with a black weather guard box.. its powder coated and holds up well much more so than if it were painted..
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I actually just saw a toolbox that a guy had painted black the other day, and the paint was already peeling off of it. 90% of diamondplate is factory cleared before you buy it, so trying to get paint to stick to it is very difficult. I would also agree with the powdercoating it will last much longer, although I would bet it would cost more than your toolbox did. I just recently painted some off road lights with Rustoleum paint, it is the black textured paint which looks like powdercoating but a little ruffer. I also primed and cleared these, here's a picture for comparison. This paint is about $7.00 a can but worth it, I had $20 in materials just for these lights.

[​IMG]
  7. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 New Member 100 Posts

What color is your truck/What color will you be making your toolbox?
  8. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if you did it yourself, i would suggest you get a brass wirewheel and clean off all the old first
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had mine "sprayed" with bed liner material when I had the bed "sprayed". Very durable and it matches the bed and running boards. They sprayed it inside and out (insulates it a little). Just a thought!
  10. muddmonkey

muddmonkey New Member

my truck is black and i want the tool box to be black as well