1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

painting bumpers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by eztosee, Jun 25, 2008.

1. eztosee

eztosee Member

I am wanting black bumpers on my Tahoe. I need advice, what is the best way to do this, or do I just need to break out the bucks for new bumpers? Thanks for any advice
  2. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

i painted mine recently, autozone or any auto store should sell some black bumper spray paint where you dont have to prime it you can just start spraying, just take your bumper off and give it 2 coats, pretty staight forward
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

I presume, you're worried that your paint may not satisfactorily adhere to the existing chrome bumper... a valid concern. Have you considered up-plating your bumper? It's like electro plating but the current is reversed and the plated item becomes the anode and you add a sacrificial cathode.
    If you've ever removed chrome mechanically, then you know it's usually a huge pain in the rear. I've seen video demos for home un-plating; but, they were for small pieces. I assume the precess can be scaled up for a bumper. If you're like me, you don't have a tank big enough for a bumper.
    Contacte a local plater about having your bumper un-chromed... It might be the easiest way to start the job the way you want.