1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Painting certain parts of my truck. With spray paint

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Silverado 2005 LS, Mar 31, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. So I got tired if looking at the ugly *ss sun bleached, yellowish...orangish... Color of the side molding on my truck. So I decided to paint it.
    Far shot is before. Close shot is after.

I will be doing rims later this week with a timeline pics of the process!!!

the paint used is Rust-Oleum flat black, for aluminum, and plastic.

The materials I'm using for my rims I will post pics before I start on Friday morning. Hope y'all enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Those look good, I did mine last year with plasti dip and think I may do them with real paint this year. Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out!

3. I saw at Home Depot that they have bumper, and trim spray cans of flat black, I picked up a couple of them. I plan now to paint both the upper part and the under part of the chrome of the front bumper. Gonna do black and gonna do a couple of coats then some coats of flat clear coat.

4. Just got back from homedepot. Little short on cash today so I need to pick up more later here are the starting materials!
    I'm gettin a bit anxious to this already haha but I gotta wash truck first! ;)

I also have have two more cans over then black aluminum and plastic paint. I just need to get one more can of clear coat and bumper/trim paint.!

Attached Files:

5. Here she is all clean ready for big day of painting.

Attached Files:

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Make sure you scuff up the rims before you paint them with the etching primer. Than sand again after the primer with a light grit sand paper. I learned the hard way that the devil is in the prep. Not sure how the "plastic" paint works and yes I know you have finished the trim.But, I would suggest an adhesion promoter. If all of this is stuff you know than sorry to waste your time.

7. what type grit you think would be too to do the first roughing with???

8. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

you wouldn't want to use something that will put deep marks in that will show through the paint. but scotch bright might be a good place to start.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

scotch bright should be good to scuff. But something in the 440 range or higher

10. So to start off I don't need to use 180grain? I have 400 but ill look for 440.

- - - Updated - - -

Well here's what I'll be working with!

Attached Files: