Painting certain parts of my truck. With spray paint

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Silverado 2005 LS, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Silverado 2005 LS

Silverado 2005 LS New Member

So I got tired if looking at the ugly *ss sun bleached, yellowish...orangish... Color of the side molding on my truck. So I decided to paint it.
    Far shot is before. Close shot is after.

I will be doing rims later this week with a timeline pics of the process!!!

the paint used is Rust-Oleum flat black, for aluminum, and plastic.

The materials I'm using for my rims I will post pics before I start on Friday morning. Hope y'all enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Those look good, I did mine last year with plasti dip and think I may do them with real paint this year. Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out!
  3. Silverado 2005 LS

I saw at Home Depot that they have bumper, and trim spray cans of flat black, I picked up a couple of them. I plan now to paint both the upper part and the under part of the chrome of the front bumper. Gonna do black and gonna do a couple of coats then some coats of flat clear coat.
  4. Silverado 2005 LS

Just got back from homedepot. Little short on cash today so I need to pick up more later here are the starting materials!
    I'm gettin a bit anxious to this already haha but I gotta wash truck first! ;)

I also have have two more cans over then black aluminum and plastic paint. I just need to get one more can of clear coat and bumper/trim paint.!

Attached Files:

5. Silverado 2005 LS

Here she is all clean ready for big day of painting.

Attached Files:

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

Make sure you scuff up the rims before you paint them with the etching primer. Than sand again after the primer with a light grit sand paper. I learned the hard way that the devil is in the prep. Not sure how the "plastic" paint works and yes I know you have finished the trim.But, I would suggest an adhesion promoter. If all of this is stuff you know than sorry to waste your time.
  7. Silverado 2005 LS

what type grit you think would be too to do the first roughing with???
  8. yotchie

yotchie Member

you wouldn't want to use something that will put deep marks in that will show through the paint. but scotch bright might be a good place to start.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

scotch bright should be good to scuff. But something in the 440 range or higher
  10. Silverado 2005 LS

So to start off I don't need to use 180grain? I have 400 but ill look for 440.

- - - Updated - - -

Well here's what I'll be working with!

Attached Files:

11. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

No not that rough.You just want to rough up the "chrome" and give the paint something to adhere to. Than wipe it clean with a tack cloth and some kind of oil and wax remover. Prime with a few coats. Sand the primer to ensure the finish comes out smooth. Also, follow flash times!
  12. Silverado 2005 LS

13. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

You said you had 440? I would use that between the 3
  14. Silverado 2005 LS

Okie dokie! Thanks for the help dude!!! And it's 400 I thought I had 440 but guess my dad used it all

- - - Updated - - -

Mission has started!

Attached Files:

15. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member

Just FYI for all the rest of the do-it-urself guys, like me, out there. The RustOleum product is very good (and, the "2X Plastic paint also covers metal very well). However, Krylon is the only maker I have found that, throughout their product line, uses a spray head that provides an excellent oval, or fan, pattern, very similar to a professional cup gun. Home Depot's private label paints spray a small dot, and it is almost impossible to get smooth, overlaying patterns with a dot. For any of your finish coats with a rattle can, I would recommend Krylon for the most professional look.
  16. Silverado 2005 LS

Rust-Oleum is amazing, and you saying that definitely boosted my confidence in this project. The cans do put out a small spray pattern but with the right touch and angle you can get it smooth. Also to anyone who are looking to do this. HAVE A FULL DAY DEDICATED TO IT. it takes awhile to todo. But at the end of the day I guarantee you'll be satisfied. I know I am and I will have pics up soon once I put the back wheels back on!!!!
  17. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

i did this set of rims a while back.

Alex

Attached Files:

18. Silverado 2005 LS

Oooooo nice

- - - Updated - - -

Here's before an after pics for lookie-loo's

Attached Files:

19. yotchie

yotchie Member

that's some good solid work there. looks sharp. after a while let us know how the finish holds up
  20. menoseloso

menoseloso New Member

or you could just swap the krylons rattle can spray head maybe that could work. just my 2 cents