Painting certain parts of my truck. With spray paint

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Silverado 2005 LS, Mar 31, 2013.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

No not that rough.You just want to rough up the "chrome" and give the paint something to adhere to. Than wipe it clean with a tack cloth and some kind of oil and wax remover. Prime with a few coats. Sand the primer to ensure the finish comes out smooth. Also, follow flash times!

2. Sooo 220? 320?

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You said you had 440? I would use that between the 3

4. Okie dokie! Thanks for the help dude!!! And it's 400 I thought I had 440 but guess my dad used it all

- - - Updated - - -

Mission has started!

Attached Files:

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Just FYI for all the rest of the do-it-urself guys, like me, out there. The RustOleum product is very good (and, the "2X Plastic paint also covers metal very well). However, Krylon is the only maker I have found that, throughout their product line, uses a spray head that provides an excellent oval, or fan, pattern, very similar to a professional cup gun. Home Depot's private label paints spray a small dot, and it is almost impossible to get smooth, overlaying patterns with a dot. For any of your finish coats with a rattle can, I would recommend Krylon for the most professional look.

6. Rust-Oleum is amazing, and you saying that definitely boosted my confidence in this project. The cans do put out a small spray pattern but with the right touch and angle you can get it smooth. Also to anyone who are looking to do this. HAVE A FULL DAY DEDICATED TO IT. it takes awhile to todo. But at the end of the day I guarantee you'll be satisfied. I know I am and I will have pics up soon once I put the back wheels back on!!!!

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i did this set of rims a while back.

Alex

Attached Files:

8. Oooooo nice

- - - Updated - - -

Here's before an after pics for lookie-loo's

Attached Files:

9. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

that's some good solid work there. looks sharp. after a while let us know how the finish holds up

10. menoseloso

menoseloso New Member

or you could just swap the krylons rattle can spray head maybe that could work. just my 2 cents