1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting engine cover...need ideas!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 1morepart, Apr 18, 2010.

1. 1morepart

1morepart New Member

i have the 5.3L with the plastic engine cover that says vortec. any good ideas about paint schemes? i am thinking about painting the raised lines red and the vortec name and symbol. the rest i think i am going to use black...i am going with a high temp. paint....anyone have a picture of theirs? what kind of prep work does plastic need? thanks for all the help
    jason
  2. ferg's04

ferg's04 New Member

you are in for a real treat. i attempted the exact same thing last weekend. my recommendations are to not use spray paint as it pools up and doesn't stick to everything and to use make sure the tape is down firm, if it is not, the paint will run. it is also fairly hard to uncover the raised lines perfectly. i ended up painting the whole thing red to cover my mistake, later i will do stencil work on the sides. good luck:great:
  3. 1morepart

1morepart New Member

ouch....wasn't that hard on my plastic plenum cover on one of my stangs....jeez
    thanks
  4. 1morepart

1morepart New Member

is there a place that sells them painted?
  5. ferg's04

ferg's04 New Member

i didn't mean to talk you out of it, just that you should take your time and possibly use a brush instead of a spray can. it was just really frustrating for me:grrrrrr:

Attached Files:

• 454.jpg
      454.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
  6. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

I would wipe it down a few times 3 or 4.. with a paint prep first. put a few coats primer on it ..It cant get that hot to need a high temp paint..its plastic. right??
  7. ferg's04

ferg's04 New Member

yes, it is plastic