GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Painting Grill (Not just bowtie)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bnlake, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bnlake

bnlake New Member

I tried a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I don't know what the horizontal chrome piece in my grill is made of but is it possible to just sand that puppy and paint it like I did my emblem? I've heard people had to powder coat it but I'd really rather not pay for that if I can just paint it myself. Any input would be awesome. Thanks

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
  2. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

On these style of trucks, the crossbar on the grille is not real chrome. It is a film-like coating on a plastic piece ( I know because mine is blistering). If you sand it down, make sure all the chrome color is gone, then proceed painting it like any other plastic piece.
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member

You could scuff the 'chrome' and paint it but you risk it peeling at some point (not likely but you've see the chrome peel of plastic pieces before!)

But it is doable, yes.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
  4. jerrynino

jerrynino New Member

i did mine a while back and the trick is to use some self etching primer and finish off the entire thing with clear coat... that helps protect the paint from chips...

painted grille and bumper
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. 05azsilver

05azsilver New Member

As stated before you would want to remove all the "chrome" unless you want to repaint it later on.
  6. bnlake

bnlake New Member

Dang Jerry you got a sick lookin truck!! I'm gonna have to photoshop a pic of mine to make sure I wanna do it but I'll make sure and document the mod so I can post it in the How-To. Thanks everyone!
  7. jerrynino

jerrynino New Member

well thank you and good luck with the black out if you decide to do it
  8. chevyrulz

chevyrulz New Member

it's faster and easier to just buy a black plastic grill and paint that. if u want to just paint yours you MUST remove or @ least remove the shine from the chrome in order for the paint to stick. u can get an off brand grill ready for paint from ebay pretty damn cheap. i got one for my s10 a few years back for ~$100 and had it painted @ a PPG collision center. it matched perfectly and looked just like OEM without the chrome.
  9. Never Enough

Never Enough New Member

10. Ryancbennett

Ryancbennett New Member

i would like to paint my chrome plastic to match the rest of my truck, i am a virgin at all sorts of paint, mechanic stuff besides oil changes, how do you get the chrome plating off? i mean i really dont want to mess it up cause its my only car besides my wifes and i want it to stay looking good. and do you have to use a spray gun to paint it? do they make color matching paint in a spray can or what?
  11. Swatchvy

Swatchvy New Member

They sell color matching paint in a spray paint can, thats how I did mine. I sanded the entire thing down to grey plastic, applied a few coats of primer, sanded, primer, body color the entire thing except the mesh a couple times, taped it off, painted the mesh black and blasted the whole thing with clearcoat. It worked good and looked fantastic.
  12. Ryancbennett

Ryancbennett New Member

so you sand down to the plastic, then prime it, sand it again, then start with the color then finish with the clear? what kind of sand paper are you supposed to use?
  13. Swatchvy

Swatchvy New Member

I used 100 grain to get all the chrome and get most of the texture off of the grill, then followed up with 400
  14. Marcus

Marcus New Member

I have a couple of friends that bullhided (local spray in bed liner) their grilles. They look really good.
  15. Ryancbennett

Ryancbennett New Member

about how long did it take you? do i use the 400 grit after the primer? and do i need to do any wet sanding or anything like that?
  16. Swatchvy

Swatchvy New Member

I had a day where i had nothing better to do so i dragged it out all day but you can do it in less time, but yea the 400 is after primer. The rougher sandpaper got it pretty good but i wanted it to look like a mirror when i was done so i used the finer stuff to get it as smooth as a baby's bottom. I did no wet sanding whatsoever, dont know if it would be better worse or indifferent, worth a shot i suppose.as far as time is concerned, the paint dries pretty quick, which is all you really need to wait for.:great:
  17. Deanna

Deanna New Member

I did my truck last summer. Use a 600 grit wet sand paper and color sand the chrome that is over the plastic. Basically just scuff it up. I taped off the plastic grating on the inside of the grill. Use a grease or post sanding solution to clean the surface. I used an adhesion promotor then a DP90 black primer, base coat with a medium reducer (depends on the temp) and a clear coats. I did 3 coats of clear because I knew it would be exposed to rocks, sand, etc. I wanted to get it really shiny like the rest of the truck so I used 1000 grit wet sand paper and sanded it smooth. Then 1200 grit and then took a buffer with a 2 different grit buffing compounds. I did the front bumper, grill, and rear bumper. The way I did it took a little longer and was a little more work but it will last longer and it matches the rest of the truck. For the chrome/metal bumpers I sand blasted those pieces to etch the chrome and get a good surface for the paint.

[​IMG]