Painting Grill (Not just bowtie)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bnlake, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bnlake

bnlake New Member

I tried a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I don't know what the horizontal chrome piece in my grill is made of but is it possible to just sand that puppy and paint it like I did my emblem? I've heard people had to powder coat it but I'd really rather not pay for that if I can just paint it myself. Any input would be awesome. Thanks

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On these style of trucks, the crossbar on the grille is not real chrome. It is a film-like coating on a plastic piece ( I know because mine is blistering). If you sand it down, make sure all the chrome color is gone, then proceed painting it like any other plastic piece.

3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You could scuff the 'chrome' and paint it but you risk it peeling at some point (not likely but you've see the chrome peel of plastic pieces before!)

But it is doable, yes.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,

4. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i did mine a while back and the trick is to use some self etching primer and finish off the entire thing with clear coat... that helps protect the paint from chips...

painted grille and bumper
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. 05azsilver

05azsilver Rockstar 100 Posts

As stated before you would want to remove all the "chrome" unless you want to repaint it later on.

6. bnlake

bnlake New Member

Dang Jerry you got a sick lookin truck!! I'm gonna have to photoshop a pic of mine to make sure I wanna do it but I'll make sure and document the mod so I can post it in the How-To. Thanks everyone!

7. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

well thank you and good luck with the black out if you decide to do it

8. chevyrulz

chevyrulz New Member

it's faster and easier to just buy a black plastic grill and paint that. if u want to just paint yours you MUST remove or @ least remove the shine from the chrome in order for the paint to stick. u can get an off brand grill ready for paint from ebay pretty damn cheap. i got one for my s10 a few years back for ~$100 and had it painted @ a PPG collision center. it matched perfectly and looked just like OEM without the chrome.

9. Never Enough

Never Enough Rockstar 100 Posts

10. Ryancbennett

Ryancbennett New Member

i would like to paint my chrome plastic to match the rest of my truck, i am a virgin at all sorts of paint, mechanic stuff besides oil changes, how do you get the chrome plating off? i mean i really dont want to mess it up cause its my only car besides my wifes and i want it to stay looking good. and do you have to use a spray gun to paint it? do they make color matching paint in a spray can or what?