1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MTM, Apr 17, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have been really been wanting to paint my frame a little but every time i do a little I seem to get over spray on the body and have to buff it off( Not sure how it sticks with the huge amount of wax that I have on my truck).
    Any ideas on how i can do this without getting over spray on the body?
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Take the body off? I don't know, but I'm definitely interested to see other responses as I've considered doing the same once I get the lift put on. What color are you painting it?

And MTM, I love your posts. You're always looking for some of the most random things to do yourself to your truck. That alone was worth of the ROTM win in my opinion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh something did occur to me. Simple and straight forward... Try taping the heck out of the body to allow for overspray. This is something that came to me with no help whatsoever. And since it's above Surreal's answer, I obviously thought of it first. And this isn't an edit after the matter. I've just been training my psychic powers. So, Surreal will say something similar next.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A drop cloth and masking tap work wonders.
  4. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Masking tape and old newspapers work good too and cheap.

Old Newspapers is also great for cleaning windows, no lint.
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

What those ^ guys said. Mask it off. A huge roll of visquine is good with the blue painters tape.
  6. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually use masking paper. Garbage bags make a mess when you remove it and there is paint overspray on it. Paint also soaks through newspaper. Just use the stuff designed to mask off bodywork.
  7. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Sounds like i have some good things to try.thanks
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Home Depot sells blue painters tape and different width masking paper just for this purpose, not to expensive either.
    They also have some masking paper with the tape already on the edge.
  9. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Masking paper is great if you are doing a full repaint with a full paint system, but if you are just under your truck with a spraybomb, newspaper will be fine. Pick up a cheap plastic drop cloth 9x 20. 1.97 walmart. Cover the truck with the plastic and fine edge the truck with 3/4" masking tape, run your paper up over the edge of the plastic, tape all the joints between pieces of paper and the top edge to the plastic. Don't forget to seal off your gap between bed and cab. I just wad paper up and stuff it in the gap.Stuff a pretty big wad in the to make sure you have not leaks.
  10. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try not to paint it with a super soaker from across the lawn on a windy day.