1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painting my Chevy Bowtie emblem Black

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by blacksilverado07, Mar 16, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 Rockstar

does anyone know what would be the best way to paint my chevy bowtie emblem the color black?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Do a search, someone asked this before maybe a year ago.
  3. blacksilverado07

u mean here at the forums?
  4. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I blacked out my bowties on the grill and on the tailgate. The custom shop I used does it with vinyl. I has stood very well and is really cheap. You should have no trouble find someone in your area who does it. Leave it to the pros though, because wrapping around the small edges is a pain. Paint won't really stand up either.All that crap that hits the front of your ride when your rolling down the highway will sandblast it. Plus if you don't like it, put it back to orginal is a snap with a vinyl sticker.
  5. blacksilverado07

u mean a sticker?
  6. crane3447

Hey don't knock it till you tried it! This is the way it being done more and more now. Paint doesn't stick to plastic worth a dame!

check out this thread with pics of my truck and all of the custom vinyl

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11408
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  7. blacksilverado07

do u have any pics of the front of ur truck and were is the best place to get the sticker for the emblem
  8. crane3447

it truns out that I don't have any pics of my grill. I have this one of my tail gate and you can see the small bowtie in front of the silverado emblem is done the same way as the one on the grill.

[​IMG]

As far as who can do it for you. I went to my dealer and asked them where they sent their trucks for custom work.
  9. blacksilverado07

well if im just getting the bowtie sticker cant i just do it myself
  10. DieHardChevyBoy

DieHardChevyBoy New Member

The best product Ive found so far is called Plasti Dip. I used it to black out the chrome on my mirrors and my bow tie and haven't had a single problem with it at all. Best part is if you don't want it black any more or it gets messed up all you gotta do is peel it off and its back to original

Heres the web site for it http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Plasti Dip can be found at

Ace Hardware
    CarQuest
    Do It Best Hardware
    Hope Depot
    Lowe's
    Menard's
    Wal-Mart

and others places too
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008