1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

painting my grill

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dnelson85, Feb 25, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dnelson85

dnelson85 New Member

What's the best way to go about this
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

what parts are you looking to paint on it? is it chrome now? Black? What year and model truck? I am sure that @TRPLXL2 can lead you down the right path. She has painted tons of things on her truck. I would take her advice if she gives it as she has learned the do's and don'ts of this.

I have moved this thread to the general tech sub forum to try to get more answers for you.
  3. popajones

popajones New Member

i just painted my grill on a newly acquired '96 Chevy G30 van. it was an all plastic grill and head light bezels. it was pretty easy and simple. if you have all plastic parts wash well in kitchen detergent (i used Dawn) first and let them dry. then sand them lightly with 220 grit. if you have any chips or dings patch and sand them down (i used testor's contour putty). after they're all sanded and smooth blow the dust off (i used the wife's hair dryer) and wipe them down with denatured alcohol. i painted them with rustoleum "universal" paints. like krylon fusion it bonds to plastic, but it also has it own primer. the paint is very easy to spray but a can does not go a long way. i suggest you purchase double your estimate so you don't find yourself running back to the store. after the paint dried i applied several coats of rustoleum matte clear spray. test this stuff before you use it. i was not real happy with the results. i thought it would go on smoothly and just dull the sheen, but it went on very grainy. still all and all i am pleased with the outcome.
    ps: i used a satin black for the base coat & forged hammered black for the trim.
    DSC04005.jpg DSC04006.jpg DSC04007.jpg DSC04008.jpg DSC04009.jpg DSC04010.jpg DSC04011.jpg DSC04012.jpg DSC04013.jpg DSC04014.jpg DSC04015.jpg DSC04021.jpg DSC04022.jpg DSC04023.jpg DSC04031.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That Looks Sweet Nice job.....:great: Are you looking for the Mono Look? fallrun 032 (Custom).jpg
  5. popajones

popajones New Member

thanx! what's a mono look?
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Painting all the Chrome to match the body Color... florida truck pics 033.jpg florida truck pics 030 (Custom).jpg
  7. popajones

popajones New Member

ahhh no, but close maybe. i have an estimate from a local Line-X dealer to do the whole exterior in black bed liner for about 2/3's the cost of a quality paint job. a little more if i want to add color tint.