1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Painting my Suburban in stages?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My Suburban has been needing a paint job since I bought it, but now it's getting where it REALLY needs it. It's getting surface rust in more and more places and has one through-hole from rust. So, I need to paint it this year. I'm not liking the idea of sending the truck off to have it painted for 2 reasons. First is cost. It's gonna cost a small fortune to have the truck professionally bodyworked and painted. Second, I don't want to not have access to the truck for an undefined length of time while a bodyshop does the work. I also now have my new shop. So, I'm considering painting it and doing the bodywork myself.

The big issue with me doing the work myself is the truck is huge and I don't think I could get it done in one sitting and the shop isn't big enough to leave in the shop more than during the day because the truck is too long to fit. So, I was hoping I could work and paint the truck in sections, ie roof first, then hood, then one side and eventually the other. The question is will the paint not look right or match if I spray it in multiple sittings? I'm planning on using the DupliColor Paint Shop line of paint.

2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you want the paint to turn out good and look uniform through-out the entire truck you will need to shoot the whole truck at the same time. To save $$$ you can do any of the body patching whether you use bono or braze in new metal and sand and prime the truck. If you can get that done it will reduce the amount of work the paint shop has to do. I know Macco offers some pretty good deals at time. You have to understand that they don't do top notch work in most cases but for the money it looks pretty good. Just an option. The best option is to find a friend that is in the business that is willing to do it on the side for a little money and a case of beer!!! LOL:lol:

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I'm not going for a show finish. All I'm looking for is to stop the rust from taking over and maybe have it looking decent at 20 feet away. Unfortunately I've searched my extended network of contacts pretty thoroughly and know noone who's taken on any bodywork.