1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

painting over diamond plate aluminum ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by RATRODKING, Mar 25, 2012.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys,
    on my nephews truck he wants me to paint over his shiny diamond plate aluminum bed rail covers, wants me to match paint them gloss black with a clear coat, automotive style paint.

can i just scuff up the aluminum and spray it, would i need to primer it first, or any special kind of etching primer ?

might even do it just rattle can style.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Powder Coat will work better and last longer...

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea powder coating would be best.
    For painting you really need to scuff them good, most diamond plate useed like that has a clear coat and you'll need to make sure it's removed or it'll peel off with the paint.
    After removing any clear coat scuff the metal untill its a dull grey them prime it then paint.

4. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

That is also what I recommend!

5. RATRODKING

thanks guys.... since my nephew dont have much money for podercoating i will try and shoot it with some paint.
    thanks for the help.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

a light sanding with some 200-300 grit sandpaper then some primer will definatly help. just got done painting the rims in my sig, did the same stratergy.

good luck.

Alex

7. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You need to use paint specialized for adhering to aluminum. Often you can use a specific primer and use normal paints.

I know you are not doing it, but the problem with powdercoating that consumers don't understand is that if it develops a crack or chip, which is easier to do than people think, the powdercoat traps moisture under it at the point of the defect and the metal deteriorates quite badly. You are better off with paint, not powdercoating. As long as you do proper surface preparation.

8. RATRODKING

thanks for the info.... i called my local auto paint supply, and he suggested a rattle can primer for 7 dollars a can, then shoot over it with auto paint..... thats the route i will go, when my nephew gets the money to do this project.....
    thanks again guys.