1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

painting plastic

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by redneckarmyMP, May 29, 2009.

1. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

im wanting to paint the plastic on the bottom of my front bumper black.does anybody know of a good way to do this and a good paint that wont chip off?
  2. Rossy

Rossy New Member

Krylon makes a spray paint specifically for plastic it's called Fusion or something along those lines. Look for it at your local hardware store. Then just make sure the surface is clean before you start painting. I have never used it personally it sounds like it is worth a shot though.
  3. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

i think thats what i used on my dodge but it sucked..it chipped really bad.especially when i hit those big a** bugs.and when it heats up in the sun it cracks up.it may be somthin different but im almost positive thats what i used.ill have to check
  4. Rossy

Rossy New Member

I used spray paint on the grille of a Ranger I owned back in 02-03 and it still looks ok I saw it last weekend. Gave the truck to my sister for dump runs and such. Just have to make sure to scrub it down and apply in light even coats takes some time. I spent about 3 hours painting the grille not sure how many coats I put on it. But being lower on the car I am sure it takes larger projectiles.
  5. MeanGreenMachine

MeanGreenMachine New Member

I did this about a year ago using Krylon Fusion paint. It works really well. It has been through a N. Indiana winter, and a summer and fall season full of potholes and gravel fill on the roads, and still not chips in the paint. The important thing to remember is the prep work. Clean the part with soap and water, then a grease / wax remover, then clean it again with soap and water, let it dry completely. You don't need to use primer with Fusion paint. Use light coats and let them set for 5 or 10 minutes between coats. [​IMG]

I also used Fusion about 5 years ago for my tail light trim. I bought aftermarket tail lights, that were supposed to be blacked out, but the trim around them was gray. I used the Fusion and they are still in great shape, though no longer on the truck all the time.

I attached a pic to show how mine turned out.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. MPH4045

MPH4045 New Member

when you prep the part you want to paint. you should scuff it with red scotch bright with soap and water or grey scotch bright with scuff stuff. thats what i use at my shop. i buy a bucket of scuff stuff at English Color its like $15 or $20. if it is preped right it will not pill or crack.
  7. ukrkoz

ukrkoz New Member

BOAT PAINT.
    sticks to plastic like thistle to hair.
    of course, degreasing and roughening is required.
  8. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

i just painted mine. i took out the fog lights, took the valance off the truck. washed it with dawn dich soap to get the grease and grime off. you could rough it up a little with some sand paper, i didnt. you probably should prime it, but i used a flat black as a base coat, then went with a gloss black. turned out real nice, and nochips yet. i also clear coated
  9. Rich Sr

Rich Sr New Member

I am currently changing the color of the inside of my suburban. I found that Dupli-color works well. First clean and prep area to be painted using soap water and red or green scuff pad, rinse very well and let dry. Start with an adhesion promoter (about $6 a can) applying 2-3 coates with minimul drying time. With in 10 minutes of promoter, use the finyl and fabric paint color in 3-5 light coates. you dont need to let the paint completly dry between coates and it does dry rather fast any way. to give some protection find a clear coat enamel, gloss, satin, or flat your choice to add protection from chipping. This is the best way i have found to change the color of plastic making it look some what professional short of paying some one who could do the electic coating of it. Have some pics of the project on my profile and have done a little more sense then, but should give you an idea. Good Luck You can pick up Dupli-color Vinyal and Fabric paint at most auto parts stores
  10. bcoffman

bcoffman New Member

I like fusion I haven't used it on a truck yet but I changed the color of our plastic outdoor furniture from green to tan and looks great. Also good idea about painting the plastic peice on the bootom of the bumper. I'm going to try it. armor all shines it but does't last. paint should look better.